Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How to cut all of stock.

I am trying to cut a part that has to be flipped 180 deg to cut both sides on a three axis mill. The first side cuts all the way out side of the stock and removes all of it. Once I flipped the part and reattached the cut it is only cutting around the part profile and leaving stock. I have NX 7.5 and using cavity mill for the op. Any ideas what has changed or what parameter I need to set to get it to completely clear the stock like side A?

10 REPLIES

Re: How to cut all of stock.

Best is to use the IPW as the blank for the second operation.

This can be enabled in the cutting parameters by setting Use 3D IPW

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

I am not sure what you mean by "reattach the cut".

Are you creating a 2nd cavity milling operation after flipping the part?

Do the cut levels and tool axis look correct?

To help diagnose this, if you are not aware of it, after generating from the operation dialog, imediately go in to Options > Analysis Tools, and you can examine the cuts and cut regions at each level.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Yes. It is a separate file to do the other side of the part. I use the
same model just saved as a new file. I rotated the model and stock 180
and just reattached the paths I used on the first side. Cut levels and
tool look fine. It cut the entire stock cube on side one but is only
cutting around the part on side two. All the parameters are set the
same.

Thank you,

Michael C. Gill

Prototype fabrication and special projects.

E-mail: michael.gill@amgeneral.com

Ph: 734-523-8983

Gill's Custom Cycle

Senior engineer: design/ manufacturing/ welding.

E-mail: mgill.gtcc@yahoo.com

Ph: 810-513-7876

[ Edited ]

If you have the setups separated in different files, you would have to make sure the resulting stock from the first side is available.

In NX 8.5 and higher you have the ability to specify the blank as the result from another part file.

Is the stock resulting from the first side saved as faceted body, so you can use that as the blank for the second side?

BTW, would you mind narrowing your signature, so it doesn't add so much unnecessary scrolling?

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

It sounds like you are saving a copy of the geometry and rotating it, both of which I would avoid. In NX, we use the master model concept for this, by creating 2 setups that cut the same part in different orientations.

You should have the geometry to be machined, and optinally the blank, in a part file.

Create the first setup (File > New > Manufacturing > General Setup), position the MCS, pick the part and blank in the WORKPIECE, and program the first side.

Create another setup, postition the MCS on the opposite side, define the blank as the IPW from the first setup, and program the second side.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

[ Edited ]

Hi, Not directly answering your question, but a related topic I'd like to bring up: When you perform this process flow and using 3D IPW, in older versions the tool path on the second setup often was extended below the overhanging IPW. in NX9.0 we added the an explicit option to avoid that. When using the new option tool path generation time is longer, but machining time (which eventually is more expensive) is significantly reduced. if you use NX 9.0.3MP2 - tool path generation here will use all your computer cores, reducing the generation time.

Eddy Finaro
NX CAM Product Manager
Siemens PLM

None of these help with the problem I am having. It's not an issue of having two programs or how they are created. My problem is I a have a cubic blank and when I generate the cut it only removes material around the part. I want to cut to the outer extent of my stock for maximum material removal. Is there a way to set the program to do this?

Can you show a picture of the situation?

What operation subtype are you using?

Select the previous operation, and Workpiece > Show 3D IPW. What does this look like? 

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

I am unsure how to transfer an image to this. I am using a cavity mill and this is the first operation so it is cutting from the base stock I am starting with.

Learn online

Solution Information