Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to define Indexable Chamfer Tool in NX9 tool library?

Experimenter
Experimenter

Currently I am creating custom tool library in NX9 CAM. Chamfer tool image is attached here.

When I select Chamfer Tool it gives me Target Class - Chamfer Mill Non Indexable and Face Mill Indexable.

When I select Countersinking Tool it gives me Target Class - End Mill Non Indexable, End Mill Indexable and UG 5 Parameter.

please

TC10 NX9 + BCT16 Platform
4 REPLIES

Re: How to define Indexable Chamfer Tool in NX9 tool library?

Genius
Genius

Having a brief look at your question I see two possible answers:

If you are a user and don´t want to dig deeper into NX CAM customization, then just ignore the Non Indexable and save your tool in that class.

If you are kind of a customization freak and maybe don´t do this just for yourself, but for a group of people, like to spend some time re-customizing NX on a release change and have fun with sensitive configuration files, then read the NX help article "Add a new tool class". This is not without any future maintenance effort.

Best wishes,
Joachim

In production NX 11.0.2 MP1 D1
In testing NX 12

I don't understand the question here. Chamfer tools and countersinks are different tool types. If the NX tool type is chamfer mill, select the chamfer mill class in the library. The face mill class is for legacy reasons - before we had chamfer mills.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Genius
Genius
Hi Mark,

there is only one option for chamfer tool - Chamfer Mill Non Indexable. Question is - how to define a chamfer mill tool which has indexable insert under target class 'Chamfer Mill Indexable' ?
I presume target class 'Chamfer Mill Indexable' is not available in OOTB NX9
BR
Mak
TC10/NX 9

Mak_Jo wrote:
Hi Mark,

there is only one option for chamfer tool - Chamfer Mill Non Indexable. Question is - how to define a chamfer mill tool which has indexable insert under target class 'Chamfer Mill Indexable' ?
I presume target class 'Chamfer Mill Indexable' is not available in OOTB NX9

There is no class for Chamfer Mill (indexable) out of the box, even in NX 11. If you want another class, you need to add that with customization (see the documentation). Remember that your customization will require upgrading with each new release, so be sure you really need a separate class. 

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Learn online

Solution Information