Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to define a groove-tool for turning?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Can anyone help me? I don't know how to define a turning-groove-tool like this:

turning_groove_tool.png

Do you have tools like this? Can you publish a screenshot with all your tool-parameters?

Thank you in advance.

Werner

Werner
Production: NX10.0.3, FBM | TcUA 10.1.2.2
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk | Testing: NX12.0
2 REPLIES

Re: How to define a groove-tool for turning?

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

You can define the insert pertty easily, just set the orientation angle correctly.

I (almost) always have a terrible time defining turning tool holders, so I have no idea how to do that.

Tracking point (if not "9 - center of radius") will be an issue, as you can't define it where you would touch the tool off.

Assuming an "integrex type" machine...

While Siemens says "always define the tool at B0", that DOES NOT WORK if you touch the tool off at an angle other than B0/B90/B180.

So I set up the tool angles so they match how the tool is touched off on the machine

And on the HOLDER tab, set the holder angle to match the B axis used when touching off the tool.

NOW you can define the correct tracking point to match the touched-off settings for dia / length offsets.

Now if you use the "reoreint tool" in the operation, enter the desired B axis value directly

Note this (reorient) value is NOT *added* to the tools "holder angle" - it is used INSTEAD OF the tool's Holder angle - i.e. if you touch a "C" (80 degree) insert off at B45, define insert orient angle = 5, holder angle = 45 in tool.

When turning on the right spindle, in the operation under "tool orientation", check the "reorient tool holder" and set the angle to "135"

Hope this helps

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Re: How to define a groove-tool for turning?

Gears Legend Gears Legend
Gears Legend
This purely depends on your machine.
Some machines have a normal turret position of 45 degrees, so this tool has a P3 and P4 trackingpoint.
For these types of machines this should be clearly specified by the manufacturer.

If the turret is in the orientation shown, this tool has P7 & P8 as tracking point.
Patrick Delisse
KMWE - DutchAero
NX 12.0, TC 11.2, CAMPOST V22, Vericut 8.2, TDM 4.8
C#, VB, .NET

Learn online

Solution Information