Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How to force linear circles when not in the xy plane in a table/table post

I am working on an 840d post that the machine manufacturer does not allow circles except in the XY plane. I set Postbuilder circles to XY only but because it is a Table/Table machine it outputs circles in all the principal planes (this seems to be an NX9 issue maybe?). I need to force circles to linear moves in all planes except XY and there should be a way to get postbuilder to do what is defined in the Circlular Move section. I realize that most machines in a table/table configuration can do circles in all principal planes but this one cannot. I probably need a Custom Command similar to init_helix to control this. Any ideas?

16 REPLIES

Re: How to force linear circles when not in the xy plane in a table/table post

Is this in the machine axis XY plane or the part coordinates XY plane?

From Siemens controls I have dealt with, the XYZ axes move with the part (as the part rotates, the XYZ axes change direction relative to "ground" but not relative to the "part").

Also, when starting with the Siemens 840D "control" for a post, by default arcs aren't output (at all!) If you use the appropriate UDE to enable arc output, then you would get warnings when posting....

(or did that change "recently" - last I checked this it might have beed in PB/NX7.5?)

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Ken,

Yes we are in Traori and the axis moves with the table.  If we were not in Traori this would be ok but with Traori a table/table works kind of like a head machine. The standard 840d control has never been close enough for us to use on any of our machines so we use existing machines for the "control" when creating a new post so no UDE is needed for us.

I would rather not turn off circles in the XY plane if I can help it, but if I have to I can switch off the Output Circle Record.

I decided to turn off circles completly since this is a temporary post. We are switching to ICAM in a few weeks anyway so by turning off circles we can get the machine running until then.

Thanks

Another option would be to create a linked post - or to switch kinematics on the fly depending on current csys Z direction.

NX10.03
Windows 7 Pro

When using ICAM you can output 3D circles for 840D under traori:
3D circles (CIP) work with an end point and an intermediate point witch the circle will pass through.
We are using this for more than 10 years now.

CIP X243.429 Y413.946 Z-242.439 I1=242.934 J1=414.646 K1=-242.934
Patrick Delisse
KMWE - DutchAero
NX11.0, CAMPOST V22, Vericut 8.0

Use of CIP in addition to 3d cutter comp help to not need to rotate in plane. In addition - we have developed some 3d cycles for this purpose - all they do is turn on the rotation in the cycle and call the siemens one.

NX10.03
Windows 7 Pro

Patrick -

(getting a bit off-topic)

How do you calculate the intermediate point?  Lots of math?

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

[ Edited ]

If using ICAM - I bet that ICAM code determines the center point for CIP. One approach would be to project a radius length vector from circle center toward the center point figured between start and end points. This would work for up to 180 angle. For greater - would have to reverse it. I don't think the typical cl convention would pass it - ICAM would figure it out.

NX10.03
Windows 7 Pro

[ Edited ]

No math required for the user. Icam figures it out.

Patrick Delisse
KMWE - DutchAero
NX11.0, CAMPOST V22, Vericut 8.0

Learn online

Solution Information