Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How to force linear circles when not in the xy plane in a table/table post

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Patrick,

ICAM is having no problems with this but the machine tool manufacturer built a limit in the machine that does not allow circles. This was an easy fix in ICAM for me but I needed to temporarily use a PostBuilder post while I created my ICAM post (I just started learning ICAM). The easiest method was to force linear moves for all circles since it was only a tempoary post.

Thanks

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi

I am using a lathe cnc machine with C axis and live tools.

I activated the multiple plane option in order to have G2 G3 when I am milling on virtual XY axis.

When the milling is on 2.5 axis, no problem, but when I make a copying milling surface (like an half cilinder) perpendicular to the XY axix, the post 'activate ' the YZ axis but the CNC can't accept it.. so in this case the tool path should be point by point...

Not sure if I explained in an understanding way... hope anyone can help me

thanks!

Phenom
Phenom

Unfortunately - by the time you see a circle - you can't ask NX (in the post) to instead give you points (it is too late.) So - you need a kinematic that limits circles to XY (local frame.) A post setting that does this is in the Postbuilder Circular Move form called "Applicable Planes". This toggles a kinematic variable called "mom_kin_arc_valid_plane". You could set this on the fly in post code and activate kinematics (MOM_reload_kinematics.) I think the intended way to work in a variety of planes is to use a CSYS type MCS which will put the frame in terms of XY (by G68 or ROT etc) and have the post limit output to XY.

NX12.02
Windows 10 Pro

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

There are a couple ways to do this

1) As mentioned, in the post - limit the valid arc planes

2) In the operation (depending on oper. type), there should be an option "Motion Output Type"  Set that to "Line" or "Arc Perp to Tool Axis"

In general, it is better to get NX to do this, rather than the post (typically you get a better looking surface from NX than the post)

Ken

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi

not sure if I did right but with this macro catching the MILL MODE: 

MODE/MILL

APPLY/MILL,YAXIS

MODE/CIRCUL,XYPLAN

it seems working.

G02 and G03 on XY plane and on ZX plane point by point

Thanks!

Phenom
Phenom

Sorry - didn't realize this was an ICAM question. The original question was posed as "how can I get by with UGPOST until ICAM post is ready". I think there can be a solution for this with UGPOST but it may not be ready out of the box. Of course - with ICAM you are dealing with the CL post which generally is not configured. Since you are setting aptword switches for ICAM - it demonstrates an area that UGPOST may have an advantage (could look at the situation with much more data available about CAM events.)

NX12.02
Windows 10 Pro

PLM World Member Legend PLM World Member Legend
PLM World Member Legend
It's quite easy to get CAM event data to ICAM trough the CLS file. Like NXpost, all it takes is a little TCL script that uses the regular CLS output script and a few other things you would like to output.

For example I output the NX Tool description after a toolchange...
LOAD/TOOL,23,ADJUST,1
INFO/TOOL,'END MILL D32.0 R1.60 L40'
Patrick Delisse
KMWE - Aero Engine
NX 12.0, TC 11.2, CAMPOST V22, Vericut 8.2, TDM 4.8
C#, VB, .NET

Learn online

Solution Information