Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to import mastercam tool library into NX?

Genius
Genius

Hello

One enduser have tons of tools enclosed in the format of Mastercam tool library

I was wondering how to import Mastercam tool library into NX CAM?

Thanks

Sean

11 REPLIES

Re: How to import mastercam tool library into NX?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi @SeanHAI

I think the tool manager in mastercam has an export to text function. After that you can bring th text file in maybe excel and make a macro or two to get it into the coorrect format to add to an NX ascii tool library. I don't know of any existing programs to do this automatically.

Regards

Paul

Legend
Legend

Having been at shops that use both, I also wish this existed. Problem is each software and version can have changes in the library causing problems when attempting to translate. 

I searched extensively looking for a utility like this and found nothing. 

I hope one day there will be some sort of standard developed for tools where you can enter a string of text that is recognized by all cam softwares, and would then generate the tool based on those parameters. Sort of like a .stp file for tooling. I know Kennametal and other manufactures are working on something, but I feel by the time all the softwares adopt it and it is up and running, I will be long retired. And I still have some 30 years to go!!!!

Glenn Balon
Production: NX 12.0.1.7 MP1 Primarily CAM

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Hi.
I'm currently translating library from Tebis to NX (tools and holders - a lot of them actually)

For some parts of it I'm writing simple scripts with C#, and some with NX Open. It is not "single click" solution - but this way I will get tool library imported to NX semi automatically.

If you are interested - you can contact me, I can do it as a service: http://ncmatic.com/contact/

Glenn, do you mean GTC? https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/News-NX-Manufacturing/Generic-Tool-Catalog-revolutio...

Marek Pawlus, NCmatic

Development: C#, Tcl/Tk, CSE

Legend
Legend
Yes, I was referring to that. Problem is if you need Teamcenter. At most small shops if you ask about Teamcenter, they become hesitant for several reasons. 1st, they usually do not know what it is, or want to take the time and effort to investigate it. 2nd, they realize there is a cost associated with it, and the conversation is basically over.

Whether we are wasting time entering data for tools that could automated, or programming a complex part, from a management standpoint, we are sitting behind a computer clicking a mouse. The benefit is really only understood by the people who do the work, and we are generally not the ones who make the purchasing decisions.

I will say every time I key in data to define tooling it feels more archaic then ever, especially being 2018 and all.
Glenn Balon

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Glenn -

Before I assume you know this, but there is a version of MRL for "native" users.  You still run TC in the background, but the NC program parts & etc. are all still native files.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Legend
Legend

Hi @Ken_A

I am not sure what you mean by "native." We do not have Teamcenter here and probably never will. Are you saying the resource library can be used?

Does it work independently of Teamcenter?

Glenn Balon

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

I don't have much experience with this, but as far as I understand, you would still need a server with TC and MRL installation. Then you should be able to connect native NX to MRL (without full integration, and no need of installing TC client on users computers).

Here is demo of this approach: https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Tech-Tips-Knowledge-Base-NX-Manufacturing/Manufactur...

mrl connect.PNG

in my imagination, it would be perfect if tool vendors would host such MRL database in a cloud, and users could access always most up to date version.

Marek Pawlus, NCmatic

Development: C#, Tcl/Tk, CSE

Legend
Legend

Hopefully teamcenter will not be needed. Many small shops will be left out of the equation. There are low end CAM softwares that are already playing with this idea. Best would be if holders and tools used the same format, you could then drag and drop and change them just like in the real world.

I did not to be off of original topic, but if a standard did exist, a conversion tool would not even be needed. The need is there, there just has to be more of an incentive. 

I am surprised tooling suppliers have not partnered more with CAM softwares. If had an entire library, I would be buying more tools from that company just because I would not have to define them. 

Glenn Balon

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi @TechniCsNC

There is a standard already in place for tooling libraries. DIN4000 / ISO 13399

MRL takes full advantage of this and does have access to tooling vedors full catalogs on the cloud.

One of the comments above mentioned the cost of TC and MRL and it's implimentation but nobody thinks about the costs of not having a managed environment, expecially in CAM, where this is so much more to manage and the cost of small mistakes, wrong file, disjointed systems etc. costs huge amounts of time and money.

din4000.pngtooling_vendors.png

Regards

Paul

Learn online

Solution Information