Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to prevent adding tools as components for template

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

We have created a machine specific template that also has the machine loaded, now when ever we save the template due to a change the loaded tools are added as assembly components.

How can we prevent NX from adding the loaded tools as components?

We have other templates with machines already included, but there the tools are not added as components by NX.

The difference is that the other templates don't use pockets in the machine kinematic, whereas the template with the problem has pockets defined and used in the machine kinematic.

BTW, there have been about 200 default tools added to the template.

We are using a managed (Teamcenter) environment.

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX12.0

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community
8 REPLIES

Re: How to prevent adding tools as components for template

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hello,

I am not sure if I get that fully, but a fact is that when you using pockets classified as STATIC_HOLDER in the kinematics model object inside like tools will be loaded by design. For pockets classified as DYNAMIC_HOLDER the loading should not automatically load all objects.

Thomas Schulz
Siemens PLM
Manufacturing Engineering Software

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

So pockets should be classified as dynamic holders? The NX documentation isn't really clear in this regard.

This is the machine kinematic with the problem:Machine Tool Builder ProblematicMachine Tool Builder Problematic

Machine Tool View ProblematicMachine Tool View Problematic

This is the machine kinematic without the problem:

Machine Tool Builder ExpectedMachine Tool Builder Expected

Machine Tool View ExpectedMachine Tool View Expected

Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

What you show seems to be the reason.

If you handle e.g. typically 5 axis milling machines with one real spindle I suggest as best practice this KIM model.

2017-05-19 15_46_35-NX 11  Build CAM_nx1102.163 - Machine Tool Builder - [sim09_mill_5ax.prt (Read O.png

Only if tools should always be visible like on pre mounted turrets the static holder is suggested.

Hope that helps to clarify

Thomas Schulz
Siemens PLM
Manufacturing Engineering Software

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

The problem is that these tools are the default tools for this machine, which are pre-mounted in the carrier.

In addition to the annoyance in the assembly navigator, I always get notified that the kinematics have changed and the machine must be updated, whenever I open the template part even so the machine hasn't changed for days.

So to summarize:

1. static holder
    • used for pockets in turrets
  2. dynamic holder
    • used for pockets in spindle
    • used for pockets in carrier

So I was correct in using the right holder type, but that lead to problems as noted above.

In this particular case using a static holder when you have about 200 tools pre-configured is just wrong and you are better using dynamic holders.

As I recall, static holders are used if you need to collision check the tools that are not in the spindle, such as on a turret that may interfere. If the tools are out of the way in a tool changer magazine, then the pockets should be dynamic.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi @MarkRief,

so the NXOpen API name for the class DYNAMIC_HOLDER is a bit misleading, since it is called PocketInHead.

You know that I would never create 300 pockets in a kinematic model manually, I like to create NXOpen utilities for such cumbersome tasks Smiley Wink

Thanks for clarifying, might be time to recheck the NX documentation and request a clarification if need is.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hello @SpaceTom and @MarkRief,

I have now manually changed all the existing pockets to dynamic ones, kind of a detention Smiley Frustrated

Things are back to normal and the assembly navigator is as vacant as always for a CAM part file, part loading time was reduced to a few seconds from about a minute Smiley Very Happy

Thanks for pointing me into the right direction, have a pleasant weekend.

Stefan_Pendl wrote:

Hi @MarkRief,

so the NXOpen API name for the class DYNAMIC_HOLDER is a bit misleading, since it is called PocketInHead.

FYI this came up a few months ago - the API description should change in NX 12.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Learn online

Solution Information