Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Solved! Go to solution

How to program a D'Andrea boring head on NX CAM?

[ Edited ]

Hi all,

How could be programmed a D'Andrea boring head like this one on NX CAM?
http://www.dandrea.com/es/contents.asp?c=10&s=29&tag=U-Tronic

How can be created this special tool on NX CAM?

Any experience, with NX CAM and boring toolpaths?

Thanks.
6 REPLIES

Re: How to program a D'Andrea boring head on NX CAM?

Feed out or contouring heads are programmed in turning mode (is that what you are asking?) The post will have to handle this. I have written (and am writing now) a post with a feedout boring tool on an RA head on a horizontal mill. You need to sense that the operation is turning and needs to load the appropriate head and or tool - and get to the 3d position to start - then switch to turning mode (siemens probably a geoax to replace the axes, diamon) then treat it like turning. An MCS spindle needs to be made up in space where each turned bore is at.

NX10.03
Windows 7 Pro

It may depend on your control, but I've done this sort of thing (U axis heads) using a linked TURNING post.

You need to set up a turning MCS along the hole/bore CL, and sometimes it is easier sectioning the solid using modeling section of faces needed, than using a spun section, but it works OK.

Blank geometry can be "interesting" as well :-)

Probably need to output offsets to get from "main" (milling) MCS to turning MCS origin & orientation.

Hardest part is teaching milling programmers how to deal with turning :-)

Use either standard turning rough/finish, or else just teach mode to do the operations.

Hope this helps...Ken

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Hi all,

Thanks for your replies.

Other question, how can be defined the 3D model of this kind of boring tool on NX CAM?

I mean these are special tools and how can be defined?

We define as a lathe tool.  As we don't do IS&V I never bothered setting up anything very fancy.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Hi all,

Is this a good geometry structure for special boring tools?

Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author Igor
‎08-26-2015 04:32 AM

I haven't seen that boring internal object. We use MCS Spindle object on centerline of each boring head center line. Does that object spin up a turned outline? If so - maybe it is a new way (beyond NX8.5.) The geometry view setup will depend on your post. The elements for turning should be there. The post should see 2 axis locations because of the turned outline.

NX10.03
Windows 7 Pro

Learn online

Solution Information