cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to program a D'Andrea boring head on NX CAM?

Genius
Genius

Hi all,

How could be programmed a D'Andrea boring head like this one on NX CAM?
http://www.dandrea.com/es/contents.asp?c=10&s=29&tag=U-Tronic

How can be created this special tool on NX CAM?

Any experience, with NX CAM and boring toolpaths?

Thanks.
6 REPLIES

Re: How to program a D'Andrea boring head on NX CAM?

Phenom
Phenom

Feed out or contouring heads are programmed in turning mode (is that what you are asking?) The post will have to handle this. I have written (and am writing now) a post with a feedout boring tool on an RA head on a horizontal mill. You need to sense that the operation is turning and needs to load the appropriate head and or tool - and get to the 3d position to start - then switch to turning mode (siemens probably a geoax to replace the axes, diamon) then treat it like turning. An MCS spindle needs to be made up in space where each turned bore is at.

NX10.03
Windows 7 Pro

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

It may depend on your control, but I've done this sort of thing (U axis heads) using a linked TURNING post.

You need to set up a turning MCS along the hole/bore CL, and sometimes it is easier sectioning the solid using modeling section of faces needed, than using a spun section, but it works OK.

Blank geometry can be "interesting" as well :-)

Probably need to output offsets to get from "main" (milling) MCS to turning MCS origin & orientation.

Hardest part is teaching milling programmers how to deal with turning :-)

Use either standard turning rough/finish, or else just teach mode to do the operations.

Hope this helps...Ken

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Genius
Genius

Hi all,

Thanks for your replies.

Other question, how can be defined the 3D model of this kind of boring tool on NX CAM?

I mean these are special tools and how can be defined?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

We define as a lathe tool.  As we don't do IS&V I never bothered setting up anything very fancy.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Genius
Genius

Hi all,

Is this a good geometry structure for special boring tools?

boring1.jpg

Phenom
Phenom

I haven't seen that boring internal object. We use MCS Spindle object on centerline of each boring head center line. Does that object spin up a turned outline? If so - maybe it is a new way (beyond NX8.5.) The geometry view setup will depend on your post. The elements for turning should be there. The post should see 2 axis locations because of the turned outline.

NX10.03
Windows 7 Pro

Learn online

Solution Information