Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How to retrieve Clearance plane position from PostBuilder

Good day,

I am using UDE to control my probe on a 3-axis mill. I want to retrieve the probe to the clearance plane defined in MCS_MILL every time after it probes. 

and my NC program looks like the following:

In order to retrieve the information, particularly the Z-position of the clearance plane, I used the following mom variables:

mom_clearance_plane_point(2)

mom_clearance_plane_normal(2)

However, NX gives me error saying these two variables don't exist.

Is there any work around on retrieving the Z position of the "Global" clearance plane?? 

Thanks in advance

Stephan

17 REPLIES

Re: How to retrieve Clearance plane position from PostBuilder

When you post process, you should enable the review tool to get a list of all events and their variables used within the procedures.

I think the event is called MOM_csys or similar where the information about the MCS group is read out.

Usually the clearance information is used only by the tool path generation processor.

If you add a GOTO UDE to the mill control operation, you should get the initial position according to your clearance settings.

You may also want to look into probing, which is available since NX 8, I think.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

[ Edited ]

Look for Ken's MOOG_Show_Globals - he just reposted it a couple months ago - and I believe there is a modified version in a thread now. This routine shows all global variables that exist. You can put a number in that is odd (for the clearance) and search through the values for it. This routine is essential to me for post work.

As far as the Goto ude - it is a tricky one. I am fighting an issue with it now (and just did for another post with probing.) First of all - it fires no ude handler. It just sends a call to the motion event. The tool vector in it does not cause NX to go through normal orientation sequence. With multiaxis TT posts - NX rotates motion but does not set MOM_out_angle_pos or call MOM_msys. I saw you are working with a 3 axis post (so this is not an issue.)

NX10.03
Windows 7 Pro

Note if you implement probing using the drill "Standard text" cycle, all this motion is already done for you.  See posts in other thread about ways to implement probing using UDEs.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

The thread I mentioned =

http://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Discussion-Forum-NX/Probing-with-udes-op-of-choice/td...

i've a similar issue as mentioned above.

I want to add the clearance Z Position at the top of every operation. If possible without UDE. Is there a way to get the Z Pos into post builder ? 

With the variables from the post builder variable browser a did get any output.

thanks in advance

wolfgang

NX 10.0.2
PB 10.0.2
Win7 64

How is the Z value defined?

Is it *ALWAYS* the same value? - then you can hard code in the post.

Is it *always* the same distance above the first move's Z position?  Then post can calculate the difference & output it.

If it varies, then you're probably stuck with either using a UDE and/or non-cutting moves dialog options.

We usually do not change the value, which is 10mm by default in our NX10.

But in some cases we might change that (when we do 5ax milling), so hard coding is not the best solution.

How would a UDE or non-cutting move look like ? Are there any templates ?

thanks

wolfgang

NX 10.0.2
PB 10.0.2
Win7 64

Is there a reason the MCS clearance geometry is not an option?

Note there are other options besides plane (e.g. box or cylinder or sphere)

of course this is an option, but if i dont get the variables for the clearance plane to my post, how does it work with a clearance sphere or box ?!

NX 10.0.2
PB 10.0.2
Win7 64

Learn online

Solution Information