Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Solved! Go to solution

How to turn on coolant for lathe tool besides using Machine Control events?

I've looked through all of the menus that I can find but there doesn't seem to be a place to turn on the coolant except for using the Machine Control events; those don't seem to be handled by the post processor coolant routines because the M8 commands come out in the wrong places.

Also, is there a way to force a tool change besides Machine Control events? The post is not aware of those so I don't get the gohome nor the subsequent spindle start.

Thanks in advance

13 REPLIES

The output is controlled by the Post.  Do you have Post B...

The output is controlled by the Post.  Do you have Post Builder?

Have you tried using the "Markers" in the machine control events such as the Approach or From markers?  You may be able to control the output of the coolant commands this way. By adding the marker and then the coolant command.

If this works you could create template operations and you will not need to add the coolant codes again.  You can also attach User Defied Events ( Coolant on/off etc.) to the tool.

As far as forcing the tool change without using a Machine Control event you can have a duplicate tool and this should output a tool change.

John Joyce, Manufacturing Engineer,
Senior Aerospace Connecticut
www.senioraeroct.com
Production: NX10.0.3.5, Vericut 8.0
Development: Tcl/Tk
Testing: NX11.0.1

Re: The output is controlled by the Post.  Do you have Post B...

I am not familiar with the Markers, I will work with them and see if I can figure them out and if they will solve my problem. And, yes, we do have Post Builder; my co-worker figured out that removing the M08 from the Coolant On block under Program & Tool Path > Program > Machine Control stops the M08 from coming out in the wrong place and adding a M08-Coolant Code (or the like) under Engage Move (or First Cut, etc.) in Operation Start Sequence seems to give us what we need.

And about the duplicate tool, I cannot get the copy of the tool to paste into the pocket, this is for a lathe, btw.

I don't understand why you cannot copy the tool and paste it inside the pocket?
I can do this from the tool view for lathe or mill tools. What version of NX are you using?
www.senioraeroct.com

I'm using 8.5, I right-click and copy the tool, then right-click on the pocket and paste (there is no "paste inside" option) and the copy of the tool appears under the carrier, not under the pocket. If I left-click and hold the copy and attempt to drag it into the pocket, it will not highlight the pocket as an option, it will let me drop it into any empty pocket, but that is not what I think I need to do.

I have 8.5 and 9 and can copy a tool and paste it into the same pocket. However you can have pockets with the same tool numbers.
www.senioraeroct.com

You can or cannot have a tool with the same number? I want to be sure... I have the pocket assigned with a number and the tool is picking that number up from the pocket; does that change things?

Yes you CAN have multiple tools and or pockets with the same numbers
www.senioraeroct.com

Ok, thanks... I wish I knew why I can't get it to allow me to paste the copied tool into the pocket, that seems like it would be a simple solution for me.

Learn online

Solution Information