Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use the fix contour operation with face boundary?

Pioneer
Pioneer

When I use the fix contour operation, I only use the curve boundary, but in this operation, we have a face choose in the boundary box! I can't choose a face if I use face! Do you help me to solve this problem?

this is the picture!

https://uphinhnhanh.com/image/Yeo

10 REPLIES

Re: How to use the fix contour operation with face boundary?

Sorry, I don't understand the question. In the boudary dialog, the Face option is a way to define the boundary by using the face edges. This is not a face to be machined.

If you are trying to machine a face, I would use area milling or streamline drive. 

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

I agree with topic starter! In NX9 if I want to use face edges as boundary - I select face. Not working in NX10...

I followed the pictures in the original post. After setting the boundary mode to face, I pick a face, and a boundary is created around the edges. Not sure what I am missing here. Can somebody post a movie that shows the problem?

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Pioneer
Pioneer
@MarkRief: Can you help me to make a video about this operation? Because after I set the boundary mode to face, I can't choose any face in the part? I am using NX 10, thanks very much!

Legend
Legend

Hi @Vanphu_ht91,

If I understand rigth your problem, you can check your Selection Scope.

Please see the attached video.

Jean Marcel
PLMPRO
www.plmpro.com.br

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi @JeanM,
Thanks for your help, Maybe my NX softwart have some error. Now, I understand how to choose, but I see the toolpath of the fix contour using boundary method look like the toolpath using area milling, I don't see the difference between two method (boundary and area milling). Can you help me to make a video about difference between the toolpath of two method?

Surface Contouring is very powerfull, but it takes training and experience to understand all the differences between the drive methods. A good start would be the Die Machining and High Speed Machining tutorials found at Menu > Help > Manufacturing Tutorials.

Generally, the system uses the drive method to create the path to be projected on to the part. Some of the methods are newer, and should be used if possible instead of the older methods. Here are some general comments on selecting a drive method:

• If you are cutting a solid, then area milling is a good place to start - just pick the faces you want to machine as cut area. You can define different cut patterns in steep and non-steep areas.
  • If you want a path that follows the shape of the faces and morphs more than it uses a standard cut pattern, then learn streamline.
  • If you want to clean out material in valleys and corners, learn flowcut.
  • If you want to follow curves, use curve/point.

There are times when you may need to use some of the older methods...

• If you want more control, and want to control the cutting area and cut pattern with curves, or want to project in a direction other than down the tool axis, learn boundary drive.
  • The ultimate fallback and oldest drive method is tool path drive, and should be used only when nothing else will give you what you want. With this method, you create the drive path using some other operation, and the system projects it on to the part.  

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Pioneer
Pioneer
@MarkRief
Can you give me an example use fixed contour operation with boundary method? (include curve, face)

Vanphu_ht91 wrote:
@MarkRief: Can you help me to make a video about this operation? Because after I set the boundary mode to face, I can't choose any face in the part? I am using NX 10, thanks very much!

All boundaries are planar. If you are using the face mode inside the boundary dialog, then the face must be planar. Is that the issue?

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Learn online

Solution Information