Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am looking for the best procedure how to program a head bust in 5 axis (3+2) machine using NX 11.

Creator
Creator

I am using NX 11. I am looking best way procedure how to program a head bust in 5 axis (3+2) machine.

This is my scenario. 

I used mill contour for roughing (3 axis program)

2nd process plan is i will rotate the A axis into 90 degrees. then i need to create simultaneous program for the B axis. My problem is i dont know how can i provide simultineous program because I'm a beginner in NX 5 axis (3+2) programming. 

Thank you for helping me. 

15 REPLIES

Re: I am looking for the best procedure how to program a head bust in 5 axis (3+2) machine using NX

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hello @Chistian

Is the head bust a facet model or surface model?

Regards

Paul

Re: I am looking for the best procedure how to program a head bust in 5 axis (3+2) machine using NX

Creator
Creator
Yes it is Facet model. It is from stl file then i import into NX 11.

Legend
Legend

To point you in the right direction, read about "projection vectors" in the docs.

Variable contour is how I would do the finishing. You would want the drive surface to be a cylinder around the model. The part surface would then be the part. 

Be preprared for lots of trial and error. It can be hit or miss. Sometimes I get the path I want in 5 minutes, sometimes it takes hours. 

Glenn Balon
Production: NX 12.0.2 MP3 Primarily CAM

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom
Facet model impossible for variable contour. Fixed contour only...

Siemens Phenom

All

There is a preview project in NX12 that will allow facet part geometry on some Variable Axis operations. I can put you in contact with the product manager if thats something you are interested in. For NX11 and below you will need to convert the facets to triangles. I have done this before and it works just fine. There are some free programs linked to in the forums or I would be happy to convert if you dont have runtime license.

Regards

Paul

Creator
Creator
Hi Glenn Balon,

Good Day!

Thanks for your responded. 5 axis 3+2 machine. it is capable on simultaneous process? for example i try to rotate the A axis in 90 degrees while the B axis is rotating 360 degrees. i dont know if it is possible. Because a while ago, i saw the video from you tube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpeEw9YEGDU. i dont know if it is capable in NX.

Creator
Creator
Hi Chigishev,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwY7AINd9jg. here is the site, i saw the machining sample of head bust. let me know if it is capable in NX programming. ?
thanks.

Siemens Phenom

Hello @Chistian

Here is a sample file that shows variable contour on a facet model as per your youtube link.

Here are some key points to follow.

Must be non projection style drive, I used Guiding Curve

Must be a convergent model so use the convert function if it's not already a convergent model

The cut area must be clear, so divide the body so you have goot cut area. The whole body won't work

NX12.0.2 with ENV set, contact your local support to organise this.

I used a section curve as the guiding curve. 

As the guiding curve is offset along the convergent body you wont get constant along rotation axis slicing.

As this functionality is under preview please expect some trial and error to overcome any trouble you have. We can help if you are struggling to solve something but it may take some time or some workarounds for now.

Regards

Paul

2018-04-17 15_48_33-NX 12.0.2.2 - Manufacturing.png

Unable to play video. Please try again later.
(view in My Videos)

Siemens Phenom

Here is another example using morphing between two curves to improve the distribution of the cuts. As this example has extreme shapes the geodesic offsets will produce interesting results.

Regards

Paul

Learn online

Solution Information