cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPW Help

PLM World Member Builder PLM World Member Builder
PLM World Member Builder

I have one part that is ran on several different machines, each with a unique setup. What I would like to do is save the IPW from the first setup and use it on the second setup as the blank part, is this possible since the operations are saved in seperate files?

I have saved my IPW from the first operation and added it as an component to the second but I can't constrain it since its a faceted body.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

TJ

14 REPLIES

Re: IPW Help

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Can you edit the IPW part & add some datums, then use them for mating?

Depending on your part, you should be Ok with eyeballed locations

Does the "bounding box" functionality work with faceted models?

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

PLM World Member Builder
I haven't found a way to edit the IPW part yet but I do not use the modeling side of NX a lot so I am not the most proficient at it.

You should not have to save the IPW if you just want to use it as the starting blank for another setup in another part.

In the second setup, set the blank in the workpiece to IPW, and set the IPW source to the first setup.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Solution Partner Valued Contributor Solution Partner Valued Contributor
Solution Partner Valued Contributor

The instruments use the blank from a previous setup on my mind does not work properly. With this method, the blank is formed on the basis of the «Tool Path Simulate», and not on the basis of «Machine Code Simulate».

PLM World Member Builder

MarkRief wrote:

You should not have to save the IPW if you just want to use it as the starting blank for another setup in another part.

In the second setup, set the blank in the workpiece to IPW, and set the IPW source to the first setup.

Mark,

I tried that and get the following alert "The part containing the source for the IPW must reference the same component for Part geometry as the work part"

I am not sure why i get this error, the work part is the same part but it is different setups.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Ukolov_Dima wrote:

With this method, the blank is formed on the basis of the «Tool Path Simulate», and not on the basis of «Machine Code Simulate».

The IPW is not based on any simulation, it is the internal representation that you get when you select the operation context menu entry Tool path => Workpiece => Show 3D.

Instead of working with a static IPW, I would use the new capabilities of selecting the blank from the other setup part, which was introduced in NX 8, I think.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Solution Partner Valued Contributor Solution Partner Valued Contributor
Solution Partner Valued Contributor

The alert "The part containing the source for the IPW must reference the same component for Part geometry as the work part" occurs if the part first and second setup do not refer to the same component.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I don't think that it makes much sense to have a part machined with the IPW of any other part.

Sure the problem is support geometry, like blocks, which are needed if it is otherwise impossible to fix the part on the machine because the side on the table wouldn't have any flat surface.

As long as it is possible to use the IPW from a different setup part, that references the same component, I would do so.

To get the IPW as a faceted body one would need 3D verify and export the resulting IPW to the target part.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

PLM World Member Builder

Ukolov_Dima wrote:

The alert "The part containing the source for the IPW must reference the same component for Part geometry as the work part" occurs if the part first and second setup do not refer to the same component.

They are the same component, and i still can not get it to work. They are in different assemblys but are the exact same component. Thats why i was trying to export the IPW and import it into the  second assembly and constrain it. But since IPW is a faceted body it won't let me constrain it. I can't be the only one that has this problem?

Learn online

Solution Information