Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Solved! Go to solution

IPW RESOLUTION

How i can increase ipw resolution ?

17 REPLIES

Re: IPW RESOLUTION

The IPW resolution can be set by choosing in the IPW settings between Coarse - Medium - Fine.
The detailed settings behind that is available in the  defaults under customer defaults:

Manufacturing -> Simulation& Verification -> IPW

e.g. If Fine is not sufficient enough you can try to change the default value form 1000 to 1500.

Keep in mind that higher resolution end up in more calculation time.

Thomas Schulz
Siemens PLM
Manufacturing Engineering Software

Thanks for quick response. Im not happy with quality of fine settings (compare to stl from mastercam).

Is there any other setting that i can use ?

how large is the part? 

In customer defaults, what is your needle count and tolerance for "Fine", and which are you using?

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

24"X20"X2"

and i'm cutting pocket 1" deep 5"x5" in the middle.

IPW SETTINGS.PNG

You you should see an IPW with .003 tolerance. Can you provide more detail on what is not acceptable? Perhaps a picture?

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

I just started using NX9 and i'm comparing stl resolution to Mastercam 2017. Seems like stl from Mastercam has much better resolution than NX9. I'ts not big deal but I was wonder if is any setting in NX that can control that little bit better. That's all. Thx

Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author lukaszk24
‎10-06-2016 12:44 PM

NX 10 and NX 11 have the resolution improved.

NX 9 is out of maintenance, so there will be no improvements.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Got it. Thank you.

lukaszk24 wrote:

I just started using NX9 and i'm comparing stl resolution to Mastercam 2017. Seems like stl from Mastercam has much better resolution than NX9. I'ts not big deal but I was wonder if is any setting in NX that can control that little bit better. That's all. Thx

Sorry I missed that the part was 24", so at 1500 needles, they are .016 apart, so this could look too rough for you. Even in NX 9.0.3, you have control over this in the customer defaults.

As @Stefan_Pendl mentioned, the IPW is much better NX 10.0.3 and NX 11.

Also, there is no STL for the NX CAM IPW. It is an internal format, which is converted to facets for display or saving as a solid.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Learn online

Solution Information