Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPW precision

Creator
Creator

Hi!

I'm still having troubles to figure how the IPW tolerances work. I can control the precision in the 3D dynamic tool path visualisation simulation tab, but not in the graphical window, when pushing "show 3D IPW" button.

Here are examples.

If you pay attention to the radius in the pictures, you can see the the number of points/facets/precision is very different.

How could I improve the precision of IPW inside graphical window? The underlying concern is which IPW is used when creating IPW based operations ?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4

Re: IPW precision

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hello,

let me try to help here.

• When perform 3D Visualize (Verify) it is possible to save the IPW within the operation.
  • "Show 3D Workpiece" will take an IPW if it is stored with the operation.
  • If no operation is stored it calculates one on the fly - this mechanism always use "Medium" as the resolution.
  • Operation type using IPW for the processor (generate) will use Medium resolution.

So it depends with which settings you may have worked and it can result in different IPW representation as you shown in your figures.

Hope that help; if not please let me know.

Thomas Schulz
Siemens PLM
Manufacturing Engineering Software

Creator
Creator

Thanks for the quick answer. There's still strange things. Here is the process I'm using :

- Select my NC prog in navigator and click "delete 3D IPW". IPW column in navigator only shows x.

- Set all precisions in manufacturing preference to the same (coarse=medium=fine)

- Select NC prog => Verify TP 3D dynamic + Creat IPW => takes a few minutes, radii have good quality

- Exit verify toolpath by pressing ok

- Press Show 3D IPW : takes 10 seconds and displays IPW with awful radii

- Delete 3D IPW + Show IPW gives the same bad result

So, I'm still missing something concerning resolution parameters, as "show 3d IPW" should display the same quality as the Verify TP tool.

Edit : from what I'm experimenting right now, "needle count medium" is the only parameter that affects the "show 3D IPW" tool, even if tolerance mode is set on needle distance.

Highlighted

Creator
Creator

... and to add a few elements :

With "Visualization pref" and show facet edges: here is the part directly displayed in Verify TP (facets are really homogen and precise).

When clicking "create IPW", the created body seems to loose a lot of accuracy.

Does it mean that there is a conversion process between simulated part produced by verifying tool, and IPW generated ?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

What you see inside the "Verify" and what you see when you select "Show 3D IPW" are created differently, but should be similar. Please get in contact with GTAC and the data, so that we can have a closer look and give you a final feedback.

Thomas Schulz
Siemens PLM
Manufacturing Engineering Software

Learn online

Solution Information