Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ISV and job clamping

Working in a jobbing shop it is common practice for us to move our clamps from one area on the part to another once a part of the job is completed. Is there a way for ISV in a milling environmEnt to be able to handle this? Currently there is only one fixture group which limits things. My only way around this has been to program it as two files one for the first arrangement and a second file for the second arrangement, this is far from ideal. Is anyone else doing something similar and have you come up with a solution? Does Siemens have anything planned in this area?

Looking forwards to any insights

Adrian

SEQ-01.PNGSEQ-02.PNG

4 REPLIES

Re: ISV and job clamping

Hello,

there no single answer to this requirement. Usually what I see in your pictures are two setups, so the clamps are also in reality changed on the machine tool - maybe new measuring of offsets (not always needed); so I assume two NC Code programs as well.

So one solution could be having two CAM setup part files or having two program groups handling that.

What is possible in side the CSE simulation is to move objects like loading and unloading parts. These function can also be used in your case, that after the first setup is done somehow indicated inside the NC code and thus calling a subprogram which takes care of re-positioning the clamps. The related Ayncontroller command is position. Important here is that that applies to one kinematics component, so each clamp need to have an individual KIM component.

Another solutions I heard of are creating both clamp situation inside the setup. You may can but in on two layers if you like. Put each set of clamps into one kinematics component and add an axis to the parent component, so that the not valid one can move away (e.g. down by 10 meters) so that only one are taking into the manufacturing area for collision detection.

Hope it gives some ideas

Thomas

Thomas Schulz
Siemens PLM
Manufacturing Engineering Software

Thomas,

any chance to get access to NXOpen in CSE? If this would be possible it would be an easy task to handle such requests. In the good old MTD times things like this could have been done.

Regards,

Peter

SpaceTom wrote:

Hello,

So one solution could be having two CAM setup part files or having two program groups handling that.

Hi Tom

Thanks for replying, currently I use multiple files XXX_setup_01A, XXX_setup01B, XXX_setup_02A and XXX_setup_02B depending on the part , I inherit the IPW from one setup to the next and it works can be cumbersome. The NC code is in one file whereby the machine will stop (M00) the operator willl reposition the clamps and then press the go again thus avoiding the operator having to load a new program to complete the task.

I am not entirely I understand what you mean about two prgram groups, I have two prgram groups using two workpieces but what then? My ISV setup will only alow one set of fixtures and does not refrence the workpieces, perhaps I have misunderstood you.

snip-01.PNGsnip-02.PNGsnip-03.PNG

[ Edited ]

SpaceTom wrote:

Hello,

What is possible in side the CSE simulation is to move objects like loading and unloading parts. These function can also be used in your case, that after the first setup is done somehow indicated inside the NC code and thus calling a subprogram which takes care of re-positioning the clamps. The related Ayncontroller command is position. Important here is that that applies to one kinematics component, so each clamp need to have an individual KIM component.

Another solutions I heard of are creating both clamp situation inside the setup. You may can but in on two layers if you like. Put each set of clamps into one kinematics component and add an axis to the parent component, so that the not valid one can move away (e.g. down by 10 meters) so that only one are taking into the manufacturing area for collision detection.

Hope it gives some ideas

Thomas

Hi Tom, these sound OK, I will have to talk to my ISV guys about these two ideas as I have no idea about the degree of difficulty in implementing these suggestions.

Thanks again

Adrian

Learn online

Solution Information