Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Identify holes in an Autocad File by NX CAM

Dear,

Now i have an Autocad file contain alot of Holes , i want to Group and choose All of holes ( similar Diameter ) to creat operation fast. Please see the picture to help me!

8 REPLIES

Re: Identify holes in an Autocad File by NX CAM

For drilling operation you can use filter for holes diameter - from min value up to max value, or for exact value.

is it just 2D curves?

Or is it a solid model?

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Yes , it just have curve 2D from Autocad file .Dwg

I see 2 ways but since it's only 2d geometry some preparation is required: 1) Extrude the arcs and subtract from a plate volume, then use feature recognition, grouping, manual drilling or FBM. or 2) Tag arcs through Feature Navigator (this provides a filter) and creates Machining Features, then use grouping, manual drilling or FBM The screenshots show the 2nd method

I advise you to follow Olivers first proposal.

Best wishes,
Joachim

In production NX 11.0.1.11 D3

Dear  oliversing,

I got it , but when do it, i have a problem the same picture , i can't group any Arc

This typically means one of two things:

1. Your workpiece doesn't have a part geometry defined yet. Each recognized feature points to a body and the feature groups can only be created under a workpiece object which contains the corresponding body as part geometry.

2. Your MCS definition needs to be changed. Each recognized feature has a local CSYS; the Z direction of that local CSYS determines the (primary) machining direction. Feature groups will only be created under an MCS if the +Z direction of the recognized feature matches the Tool Axis setting of the MCS. There are 2 different ways in which you can setup your MCS Tool Axis

- +Z of MCS (only feature groups with matching Z direction will be allowed)

- All Axis (all machining directions will be allowed).

If you MCS Edit dialog doesn't show the Tool Axis, then you can assume that it is set to +Z of MCS (you can use Object -> Customize to add the Tool Axis to the dialog if needed).

I hope this helps.

Tom van 't Erve

NX CAM development

I just realized from your screenshot that you have tagged the arcs to create SIMPLE_HOLE features (instead of other recommendation to create a 3D solid out of the 2D data and use Feature Recognition).

My previous observation still stands. Your workpiece doesn't have a part geometry defined yet. But in this special 2D case, you will actually need to create a solid body (any simple block or cylinder will do) and use that as your workpiece. Just selecting the 2D curves is not sufficient.

This is a bit of a workaround and shows that our development focus has been on 3D workflows.

I hope this helps.

Tom van 't Erve

NX CAM development

Learn online

Solution Information