Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Solved! Go to solution

Importing an IPW from single part to Assembly for rest machining

First off I'd like to thank everyone for helping me out with my many questions. I'd like to take a class on NX but as an engineering student with a full time job, I just don't have the time to spare. 

What I'm doing is I machined two parts seperatly and I'm making a fixture for them that I can bolt them both too, so I can do the second operations, at the same time. What I tried was saving a 3D ipw for both of my parts and then add it to the assembly of my fixture and the two parts. After adding it to the assembly I'm unable to put constraints on is because its a facet body. Is there anyway I precisly line up the facet IPW so I could have accurate stock for my next machining phase?

Thanks. 

8 REPLIES

Re: Importing an IPW from single part to Assembly for rest machining

You can reference the IPW of a different part, that machines the same component, as the blank geometry, see IPW source dialog box

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

The link was helpful but I can't get it to import the IPW the individual part files.

Can you post an example of what you are trying to do?

Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1

I'm making 2 different parts for a customer and these parts are always ordered in pairs. I have to do these parts in 2 setups. In setup 1, I machine out the holes and tight tolerance bore. In setup 2, I created an assembly of the 2 parts. I created a new part which is a fixture plate that I use to bolt these 2 parts to so I can machine them both at the same time.

What I was wondering was if there was a way I could import the IPW from each of the setup 1 part files and use them as the blank in the fixture assembly.

What I tried was when I was in the individual part files, for machining setup 1 was saving the IPW as a new prt file. It creates a facet body that I was able to import into the assembly of setup 2 but I can not position it correctly in a way that is suitable for machining setup 2.

I was wondering if there was a different way I could achieve this?

Also when I try to select a source IPW, I get the error message, "The part containing the source for the IPW must reference the same component for the part geometry as the work part." As far as I know, I am referencing the the correct part geometry.

Thanks for all the help!

You must create assemblies for both CAM setups as specified below.

CAM_setup_1.1

+ CAD_part_1

CAM_setup_1.2

+ CAD_part_2

CAM_setup_2.1

+ CAD_part_1

CAM_setup_2.2

+ CAD_part_2

This is what NX expects to be able to automatically position the IPW based on the changed orientation in the second CAM setup part.

I think I understand but could you elaborate on that a little bit.
Thanks for taking the time go back and forth with me here.
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author Imperial
‎07-22-2016 01:49 PM

CAM_setup_1.1 machines CAD_part_1 from the bottom, CAM_setup_2.1 machines CAD_part_1 from the top.

In the workpiece group of CAM_setup_2.1 you select the workpiece group of CAM_setup_1.1 as the blank source.

Since both CAM setups have the same CAD part as the component, but the second one has the component positioned 180 degrees rotated about the X axis, NX is able to automatically position the IPW for machining from the top. It just reads the component transformation matrix to position the IPW.

I would create a simple block, with a rectangular pocket at the bottom and a circular pocket at the top.

Add the part containing the block as a component to a CAM setup and machine the circular pocket and save the assembly.

Add the part containing the block as a component to a separate CAM setup, rotate the component to have the rectangular pocket at the top and set the blank source to be the workpiece group of the other CAM setup part. Now push the button to display the current IPW and notice that it matches the one of the other part.

If you are exploring a new feature make sure to start as simple as possible, then you can easily grasp the concept.

Ill keep toying around with it but I think I understand the idea.
Thanks for all your help!

Learn online

Solution Information