cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insert Multiple Operations

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello,

I was wondering if there was a way that I could insert multiple operations at once. As an example, when creating a hole, I like to recognize the part, group and features, then add a spot drill, drill, counter sink / chamfer and then Tap if need be. I was wondering if there way a way I could setup "templates" that had these operations loaded into them that I could quickly insert into the selected geometry. All I would have to do then is insert the correct tool and method, maybe optimize the tool path and then my holes would be done. 

I'm aware you can make custom geometry that when inserted will pull in predefined operations but this negates the ease Feature Recognition and Grouping as you would have to select the geometry. 

Something like being able to add operations to the Reuse Library would work also as you could just drag and drop selected operations into the operations tree. I don't know if this is possible but something like this would be a nice feature. 

Thanks. 

7 REPLIES

Re: Insert Multiple Operations

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Import the set of operations using "custom geometry" object,

Then drag & drop under feature recognition object?

Question: If you are using feature recognition, why not just continue the next step & have FBM create the operations for you?

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I haven't used FBM in a long time mainly because I don't have the license to edit the MKE. The operations that are generated come out needing as many modifacations as they would need if I just created a new operation so I've just learned to not use it. I've built many custom operations essentially act like FBM. 

Your first answer was what I was actually thinking of doing. I was just trying to see if there was a way to do it with less steps and without doing all the work in creating custom Geometry, Pictures, Icons and Text to do so.

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

You can do this when the template has "Child" operations.

In your template create a Hole/boss geometry group, under that create your operations and tools.

On the operation navigator, with the operations highlighted, select Object - Template Setting and check Create if Parent is created.

This is not limited to hole making but can be used for (legacy  drilling) as well as milling when using boundary or workpiece parents.

There is a section in the help doc's on CAM Customization that covers this in more detail.

Also if you are part of PLM World, which is free, you may find some presintations on this subject from previous events.

John Joyce, Manufacturing Engineer,
Senior Aerospace Connecticut
www.senioraeroct.com
Production: NX10.0.3.5, Vericut 8.0.3
Development: Tcl/Tk
Testing: NX11.0.2.7

Use a geometry group template: How to create a NX CAM custom operation template

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Pioneer
Pioneer

You can do the secondary develpment for NX CAM. My previous company use this way to do this. You select the geomery one time can finish spot dill, drill,tap opertion on same time! Pretty cool!

-----------------------------------------
UG3.0
UG6.0
NX10.0.35
NX11.0.1
UG_NX is my favorite !!!!!!

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
What do you mean by secondary development?

Pioneer
Pioneer

Secondary development is based on the existing software products, based on the customer's personalized needs of the development.

-----------------------------------------
UG3.0
UG6.0
NX10.0.35
NX11.0.1
UG_NX is my favorite !!!!!!

Learn online

Solution Information