Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intersection Strategy

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello there,

I am trying to figure out how this new feature of intersection strategy works.

Please find the attached pictures and file. I was trying to create a Drilling operation for a hole with intersections. In Feature Geometry dialog, I set the Intersection Strategy as Part and IPW. It looks like NX has identified the intersections. However, after I generated the operation, from the tool path I can see that, it is still cutting when it passes through the intersections. I also created a sequential drilling operation, the tool path of which doesn't seem correct either.

I am working on NX 10.0.3.5

Thanks,

Kai

3 REPLIES

Re: Intersection Strategy

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius

Hi Kai,

Your first operation has been defined as a regular canned drilling cycle and will be simulated as such. Change this one to "Single Moves" and it works as you'd expect.

The second operation is defined as a "Single Moves" cycle and should work if it would cross holes/intersections. But as all material has been removed by the preceding operation it will not have to anymore ...

BTW Your operations don't define part material, you should move your operation below the Workpiece.

Thanks,

Toon

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thanks, Toon. It worked.

For the Squential Drilling, when I turned off First Cut and Last Cut, the path was fine. However, when I turned them on (e.g. only 5% Tool), the stepover (green) pass extends into the hole. Please find the picture attached.

Thanks,

Kai

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius

Hi Kai,

This behavior relates to the "gap" distance in combination with tool diameter, going in "crossover" move(s) for large gaps, going in "stepover" move for small gaps.

The stepover move includes last cut, first cut and goes in stepover feedrate, the crossover moves generates seperate moves, last cut in last cut feed, a crossover in crossover feed (or rapid) and a first cut in first cut feed.

The limit to decide between crossover and stepover is (or will be in dependence of your NX version) configurable (See Cutting Parameters).

If this limit does not yet show up in your Cutting Parameters dialog then you're running an initial version of where it is hardcoded in dependence of the selected intersection strategy, being 100% of tool diameter for IPW, 300% for Part.

Thanks,

Toon

Learn online

Solution Information