Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Invitation to support ER - add spindle speed section to turning method groups

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Now that I am deeper involved in configuring turning templates, I was shocked that turning has not the user friendly feed and speed inheritance as milling has.

The images show the difference I am trying to address with this enhancement request.

FeedsSpeedsOperation.PNGFeeds and Speeds Operation

FeedsSpeedsMethod.PNGFeeds and Speeds Method Group

Below the proposal for the GTAC report text.

ER Template
          ===========

1. Short Description of desired enhancement: <Problem rather than a solution>
   + it is not possible to set the spindle speed settings for turning methods inside of the methods

2. What activity in your process is the product not able to currently handle?
   + we cannot inherit the spindle speed from the turning method groups, because the spindle speed group is missing from the feed and speed dialog of the method group

3. What result are you trying to achieve? (Please provide as many details as possible.)
   + we want to manage spindle speed settings for turning operations in one spot only

4. Do you currently have a workaround?
   + change spindle speed settings in each turning operation, which is very cumbersome if there are many of them

5. Do you have a proposal for the solution you envision Siemens PLM providing for this capability?
   + add the spindle speed block to the feeds and speeds dialog of turning method groups

6. What is the level of productivity gained from such an enhancement?
   + HIGH, keep the customer from specifying settings over and over again

7. Other information:
   + Link to ER-9366470

Thanks in advance for a more user friendly work-flow in the future.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.2, FBM, MRL 3.1.7 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 11.4
Development: C (ITK), .NET, Tcl/Tk Testing: NX12.0 | AWC 3.4 Preparing: NX12.0

Employees of the customers, together we are strong Smiley Wink
How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community
NX Customization - Best Practice Guide
7 REPLIES

Re: Invitation to support ER - add spindle speed section to turning method groups

This has been asked for before.

For some reason Siemens doesn't think speeds should be definable in a method (?!?!?!?!...sigh)

Good luck!

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Re: Invitation to support ER - add spindle speed section to turning method groups

So it is time that we customers stand as one.

I don't see any reason why I should specify the same SMM and maximum spindle speed with each and every operation, that is just nonsense.

I have also talked to some other customers in Austria and they have the same opinion.

Feeds and speeds in turning are way too ancient to be usable, if you come from the milling side.

Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.2, FBM, MRL 3.1.7 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 11.4

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Stefan.
How will this benefit those of us who use linked posts where turning is defined via a single method “TURN”==>HEAD? For instance, in 1 part, we have 10s of tools ( ID-OD-Face etc) with 100 or so ops running different machining parameters which are dependent on part “in process” ( rgh-sf-fin), insert geo, etc.

Kal.

Sent from my iPhone
NX 9.0.3.4 MP12 | PB 9.0.3.2 | NX11.0.2.7 MP12 | VERICUT 7.3.4

Note you could have a parent method "TURNING" with the HEAD UDE

Then have children methods with the feed/speed/stock/etc.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

@Kal ,

so what is driving the machining data settings?

If the settings are related to the tool, they should be part of the tool dialog.

If the settings are related to the cut method, they should be part of the method dialog.

If the settings are changing similar to the milling and drilling tools, then the way how milling and drilling machining data is applied should be used.

I would really like to have the turning machining data set in the same way as it is done for milling and drilling. For this you may want to support ER-8250208: Impossible to select LATHE cut methods for machining data setup

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Hello Ken & Stefan.
Machining parameters (SFM, IPR) are defined inside each operation “Feeds and Speeds” dialog.

From memory, I read somewhere Siemens is or was working on speeds-feeds “items” for methods modifications...?
Personally, I take everything published or released with a grain of salt...flash in the pan unless proven[mfg env.] otherwise...

Ken.
I appreciate the tip, but the method within a method will not work for us; it’ll just add to the confusion...

Kal.

Sent from my iPhone
NX 9.0.3.4 MP12 | PB 9.0.3.2 | NX11.0.2.7 MP12 | VERICUT 7.3.4

Sure the milling operations also have no way to specify speeds in methods, but they also have an automatic way to apply the machining data.

Turning is lacking this kind of automatism, so may be it is easier to add the speeds to the method dialog, but I can be wrong.

Learn online

Solution Information