Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Solved! Go to solution

Is CSE based machine simulation being replaced in NX11/12?

Hello,

I have acquired some very nice machine models which were included in the machine purchases and would like to create my own CSE based machines for machine simulation.  However, I have heard talk of the current CSE based sim will be replaced in future versions.  If yes, is there a NX version roadmap for when this will happen?

NX 11.0.2
5 REPLIES
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mould_United
‎05-11-2016 09:13 AM

Re: Is CSE based machine simulation being replaced in NX11/12?

Hi,

if you have the machine  models available, you did the first step in setting up machine tool simulation. The next step would be to set up the machine kinematics and (optionally for G-Code Simulation) the simulation driver. You can find videos describing this in the Knowledge Base.

Regarding the rumors the CSE based simulation will be replaced in the future: I dont't have any clue where this information might come from. As the Product Manager in charge for machining simulation in NX CAM , I totally disagree: We do not have any intention to replace CSE based simulation in NX11 or NX12 and do not have any considerations regarding this on the long term.

NX CAM Product Manager

Reassuring to know. We very recently got your isv add-on and all that wasn’t necessarily inexpensive Smiley Wink

OP – thanks again for the color tips in the other thread! RE your post, not to be confused by Mechatronic Concept Designer... if this is what your ‘talker’ was making reference too.

The Co down the street from us, and where I go to get CSE drivers modded (!!!), design and manufacture automation machines (and bots also I think). Scary stuff. All of their SIMs are MCD based plugged in various controllers using independent HMIs. Embedded kinematics + physics in each components. On-screen, real-time, parts falling off those simulated machines as in real life (read gravity driven).

Now it would be cool if the team at Siemens CSE Studio would employ some of the same MCD drivers and techniques. We could all simulate Chips flying off, accumulation, etc lolll. I mean… what else we need?!

Nice work from CSE developers btw. We are using 2 (fanuc + Sinumerik) and couldn’t be more satisfied. Does what it does and does it pretty well.

Currently I usually just do part simulation because most of my work is using a small pallet system but occasionally I have to watch out for collisions with other parts as well as sims for customers.  I have some time lately so rather than contracting CSE machine models I watched some of the Siemens tech tip videos, in this forum, for customizing/building my own.  The videos are very straight forward, informative and show how to build machines step by step.   

NX 11.0.2

Mould_United wrote:

Currently I usually just do part simulation because most of my work is using a small pallet system but occasionally I have to watch out for collisions with other parts as well as sims for customers.  I have some time lately so rather than contracting CSE machine models I watched some of the Siemens tech tip videos, in this forum, for customizing/building my own.  The videos are very straight forward, informative and show how to build machines step by step.   

I had a go at the knowledge vids two months ago and still tweaking the two sim machines I have now - as I learn. Got two more to build after those two :/. Siemens makes it look straightforward in their vids indeed. Fact is, it's not, speaking for myself anyway. There is a lot of work to be done prior having a completed (signed-off) machine simulation.

You have to thank them for the SIM01~15 examples as without this it wouldn't have been possible for me to get insights on the issues I was having. Best thing is to copy one of those example and get it to work for your controller and cycles before doing anything else. Once this is working, you can easily replace the components of the machine with those of your machine and take it from there.

Note that you may quickly find out that you need to get the ootb CSE drivers customized for your needs (that file with the *.MDF ext) and you won't appreciate the cost of the 'additional' license required for the Machine Configurator software. If you are not a machine manufacturer/builder, then pointless to purchase the software as you may end up using it only once (twice perhaps). My advice is find someone who has it already and hire on per-modification basis.

Luckily for us here the company down the street from us has it and did the mods we needed for the price of a Starbucks Grande Latte (e.g. adding cycle's custom variables, additional axis (J1,J2,J3), tailstock support, stuff of the like). Did ask my local Siemens rep for help but he doesn't drink cheap coffee he told me :/

Despite all of this madness, the isv package is priceless imho. When it comes to complex fixturing and efficacy, you NEED the sim to output your work without incidents. And yes, does indeed look good on the conference room's 72" HD screen - customers do appreciate the added professionalism.

Luck to you! Get in touch if you need any help with anything

Oh jeez, completely overlooked any drivers.  Well, I can still go ahead with the machine modeling and get all that squared away.  I may take you up on the former and thanks for the offer!  The models I acquired from the dealer are really nice and quite detailed.  It appears I need to make only minor tweaks to them, such as splitting table from way guards and such.  I suppose I should have the least amount of machine model detail moving around as possible.  

NX 11.0.2

Learn online

Solution Information