cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to do TURNING using milling cutter on 4 or 5 axis milling machine with rotary table?

Genius
Genius

I would like to do TURNING using a milling cutter for large diameter cylinders- Rotary Milling. This method is much more faster than normal turning or milling. I can use "variable counter" option, however, in this method, my milling cutter( flat or bull nose) is positioned @ center -part and cutter both and does not give correct/efficient machining. I would like to shift my cutter from the center of cylinder axis(which is also my rotary table axis) and then move down or up parallel to rotary axis. Is the new strategy in NX 9 - cylinder face milling fulfill this requirement ?

BR
Mak
TC10/NX 9
21 REPLIES

Hi Mak_Jo   Good question. The rotary milling method (as...

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Mak_Jo

Good question. The rotary milling method (as well as some of the other very interesting turning center innovations such as the combination tuning/milling cutters) challenge CAM systems that start from a premise that milling and turning are different things. 

As you have already figured out, it will depend on your exact application and require some post processor adaptation in order to get your milling tool to spin during what would otherwise be understood as a turning operation.

In terms of choosing an NX CAM operation that puts your tool in the right spot for you, the first suggestion would be to use a turning teach mode operation which allows for a vertical offset. The other turning operations currently do no support an offset out of the turning plane.

(Thanks to Bob Wijers for his help with this answer)

Derek Hart
... if we're not having fun, we're not doing it right!

Re: Hi Mak_Jo   Good question. The rotary milling method (as...

Genius
Genius
Thanks Derek.
I am not fully clear on the suggestions given by you.sorry for that. Could you please send me one example ? video ? Also how can I send you the image to explain my requirement ?
BR
Mak
TC10/NX 9

Re: Hi Mak_Jo   Good question. The rotary milling method (as...

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager
I think an image would help. You can send it to me direct, if you like: derek.hart@siemens.com I'll see if I can make it any clearer.
Derek Hart
... if we're not having fun, we're not doing it right!

Re: Hi Mak_Jo Good question. The rotary milling method (as...

Genius
Genius

Hi Derek,

Please see attached presntation.

Best Regards,

Makarand

BR
Mak
TC10/NX 9

Re: Hi Mak_Jo Good question. The rotary milling method (as...

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

On the 2013 CIP this was item #22 ("Off center tool path")

If I interpret correctly, it was ranked #16 in voting.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Re: Is it possible to do TURNING using milling cutter on 4 or 5 axis milling machine with rotary tab

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

John Joyce, Manufacturing Engineer,
Senior Aerospace Connecticut
www.senioraeroct.com
Production: NX11.0.2.7, Vericut 8.0.3
Development: Tcl/Tk

Re: Is it possible to do TURNING using milling cutter on 4 or 5 axis milling machine with rotary tab

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

You can do this with Variable contour.

One method is to  set the tool axis to 4-Axis Relative to Part.

Select the Rotation Axis and then enter a Rotation Angle

This will offset the tool based on the Anglerot-ang.JPG

John Joyce, Manufacturing Engineer,
Senior Aerospace Connecticut
www.senioraeroct.com
Production: NX11.0.2.7, Vericut 8.0.3
Development: Tcl/Tk

Genius
Genius

Hi John,

Thanks for your suggestions. I have tried with Lead angle before and got the result. But the method which you suggested would give different offset with different rotation angles. I hope our ME accepts this as solution as there is no direct method to input offset value.

One more question - How can you calculate feedrate while doing "helical" interpolation ? considering cutter and cylinder dia ? Also the helical pitch ? See image

BR
Mak
TC10/NX 9

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

In NX 10 or may be even NX 9.0.3 you can use an offset value for curve drive variable contour operations, if I remember correctly.

NX 10 documentation online

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX12.0

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Learn online

Solution Information