Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Hi Mak_Jo Good question. The rotary milling method (as...

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Here are the images from MakJo

Slide1.PNG

Slide2.PNG

Derek Hart
... if we're not having fun, we're not doing it right!

Re: Is it possible to do TURNING using milling cutter on 4 or 5 axis milling machine with rotary tab

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

The tool shift you are asking for was provided as an curve drive method enhancement in NX 10 (actually delivered in 9.0.2):

http://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Tech-Tips-Knowledge-Base-NX/Make-Rotary-Milling-Cuts-...

Take a look at Bill Storrs' self-demo on this topic to get a feel for it.  

Derek Hart
... if we're not having fun, we're not doing it right!

Re: Is it possible to do TURNING using milling cutter on 4 or 5 axis milling machine with rotary tab

Legend
Legend

Thanks Derek,

I will test and post the result here.

Best Regards,

Mak

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

This is a nice enhancement, Thanks for re-posting the tip

John Joyce, Manufacturing Engineer,
Senior Aerospace

NX 11.0.2.7 Vericut 8.0.3 - Statements and opinions are mine alone and do not reflect
the opinion of my employer or any other member of the human race

Legend
Legend

Hi,

Please see image 1 - HOw can I achieve this result using the enhancement you mentioned. I created this tool path using "surface area" drive method. See image 2.

How can I do helical milling using curve-point method ? I need to create a helix each time, need to calculate pitch based on cutter and cylinder diameter. Is there any way to create this quicker ? Please suggest as any manual creation and calculation will be NO-NO from ME community.

Best Regards,

Mak

PLM World Member Phenom

If you want to use the Curve/Point method then you will need a curve.  If you use Surface area you will need to calculate the pitch as well.  I would use a helix and then you can control the pitch and diameter as a parameter.

Senior Aerospace

NX 11.0.2.7 Vericut 8.0.3 - Statements and opinions are mine alone and do not reflect

Legend
Legend

Hi John,

Thats the trick. If you look at image 1 in my last reply, the tool path you get when you use "surface area" is - first move complete circle, then helical and last move again complete circle. In this situation there is no material left at start and at end. Also you can control the machinig length by surface length.

However, when you use helix as curve, you can not have the start and end move as you get in "surface area" method.

So my question is - How do we get the same tool path using curves as we get in "surface area" method.

Though you can create multiple helical curves with different pitch or variable pitch helix using law curve etc...but it depends on how clever the NC programmer is !!!

So the curve/point method with offset enhancement is GOOD...but unfortunately its not complete and easy solution what I am looking for !

If anyone has easy method to create a curve exactly same as tool path shown in "image 1", please share.

Also please criticize my comments above !!  :-)

Best Regards,

Mak

PLM World Member Phenom

This video is currently being processed. Please try again in a few minutes.
(view in My Videos)
You can do this using drive curve.  You need to select the edge as one drive set then the helix as drive set 2 then the other edge as drive set 3.  However I did get an error message when generating this. "Angles are found between joined curves.  they can produce spikes and gaps when used with offset.  Please validate the tool path" 

I tried attachine a .prt file but get a message "The contents of the attachment doesn't match its file type."

drive_curve.JPG

Senior Aerospace

Very clever John!

I imagine if you do this a lot you have the arcs and helix controlled by some expressions.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Legend
Legend

:-)

Hi John,

Already tried this and got the same error message as yours ! Though the curves have tangent(G1) or curvature(G2) continuity, I did not undetstanf why NX is not generating smooth tool path. I can understand the spikes if there is a gap in between two curves or do not have tangent or curvature continuity.

Also built a law defined spline (variable pitch helix, single curve to avoid above error), still I get the error message. But if you look at the tool path, it looks ok. Not wure what will happen afte I post process it and run it on machine.

Now I am sticking to single helix with constant pitch, extending the start and end of helix to cover entire machining area length. Lets see what result I get after post process and whether our MEs agree to this !!

Thanks for your input.

Best Regards,

Mak

Learn online

Solution Information