cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to turn on or off a fixture driven by an operation while simulating?

What I want is to turn on or off a fixture during simulation driven by an operation. This operation (mill_user for example or a dedicated operation) gives a message for the operator in the NC program to place or remove a fixture after probing the part. I know there is a way in assemblies to set more different situations for the placement of the components (arrangements). Basically, what I'm asking is: is it possible to program this sort of event that my fixture is turned on or off in simulation mode.

NX10.0.3.5 MP9

Best Regards,

Niek Eilering

Weir Minerals the Netherlands

10 REPLIES

Re: Is it possible to turn on or off a fixture driven by an operation while simulating?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I think this would only be possible with the Any-Controller-Language, so you will have to manipulate the MCF file and create a AC-language file to handle the fixture change.

Sorry no examples, never needed this before.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Re: Is it possible to turn on or off a fixture driven by an operation while simulating?

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for the reply. I think this is possible ofcourse, but NX should give me a userfriendly operation UI to select the fixtures I want to turn off at a selected moment in the simulation and vice versa. Internally, NX should turn off the selected fixtures in the simulation run when it sees this operation. In the NC program the operator gets a stop and a message to remove the fixtures. This would be a very nice functionallity in NX. I've heard that this functionallity exists in edgecam. I can't imaging that I'm the only one with this issue.

Vielen Dank,

Niek Eilering

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Swapping clamps and fixturing midway through the program is something we do quite frequently, to have a solution for this would be great. My only way around it so far has been to create two setup files, one for the initial clamping and then a second for the repositioned clamps, quite tedious though.

Hi Adrian,

Luckly I'm not the only one having this wish. Maybe I should make a IR for it so it can become a ER.. Is it possible for you to send me a example part? So I can see how you did this structure wise. Thanks!!!

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Niek

I will put something together for you over the next day or so

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

I agree that it should be working with user friendly UI.

I just tested it and it appears it is possible. For an end-user it will look exactly as you described.

To have it done, all three parts needs to be customized: ISV, postprocessor and a small user-def-operation.

(view in My Videos)

Marek Pawlus, NCmatic

Production: NX 11.0.2
Development: C#, Tcl/Tk, CSE

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Outstanding! *round of applause*

Hi Marek,

Woow, this looks really nice!!! This shows me it is possible to do this. Can you tell me what you have done in CSE, PP and how the UDE looks like?

Regards,

Niek Eilering

Weir Minerals the Netherlands

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Hi. It is not UDE, but UDOP (user defined operation). With UDE it wouldn't be possible to simply select component and you would have to type it in text field.

With UDOP I can handle it with nice UI. Just for this test I used Path.CreatePprint method - probably there are also better ways. It was needed to get name of components to hide/show in MOM events for postprocessing.

With postprocessor you should format it correctly, depending on CNC type. You can also suppress output to NC code for pure postprocessing (while it will be still there for ISV)

ISV should interprete your custom commands and simply hide/show objects

Marek Pawlus, NCmatic

Production: NX 11.0.2
Development: C#, Tcl/Tk, CSE

Learn online

Solution Information