Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Is there a way to point the tool axis either toward or away from a curve in NX?

I know you can use the Tilt Tool axis after a toolpath has been generated, but I want to keep my tool axis through a curve while the toolpath is being generated.

4 REPLIES

It depends on which operation you are using. If you are c...

It depends on which operation you are using.

If you are cutting in levels, then take a look at ZLEVEL_5AXIS. Here you can tilt the tool axis toward or away from a point or curve.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Re: It depends on which operation you are using. If you are c...

Mark, thanks! It sure would be nice to do this on any 5 axis toolapth. ZLevel_5Axis is nice, but I don't think it allows you to machine undercuts. I now have ER Number 7120223 open for this enhancement. It's a function that many other CAM systems have and have had for sometime. It is a very useful way to control the tool axis.

You are correct - Zlevel 5 axis first creates a path by looking down the reference tool axis, so the undercuts are not seen. Then the path is tilted based on the tilt direction.

For a zlevel type path on an undercut area, you need to use another operatation type, such as surface contouring, where you can project towards the part, instead of down a fixed axis.
Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Mark, yes and hence I would like to control the tool axis through a curve using any other multiaxis toolpath operation. Let me know if you'd ever like to chat about this as I can show you numerous cases where this is useful.

Thanks

Jerry

Learn online

Solution Information