Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue in Swarf tool path in Turbine blade finishing.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi 

I am trying to generate a swarf tool path for turbine blade finishing. I set tool axis as Swarf Blade and also set it clearance angle to 0 .I set the depth range to 4 passes but i got strange results in simulation. Tool of 6mm dia is making steps along the blades instead of smooth finishing.

I dont know where i am making mistake. I hope some one may help me to figure this out.Steps.JPGSwarf.JPG

3 REPLIES

Re: Issue in Swarf tool path in Turbine blade finishing.

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

hi,

simulation is OK.

Your tool is not aligned to the blade.

Snímka.JPG

And that is the question...

Try to uncheck box for the collision checking.

Tool will be more aligned but there are undercuts.

I don know if blade geometry fits for such machining.

Maybe somebody more experienced can help you,

---------------------------------------------
#♫ PB, 5ax, itnc, nx, vericut ♫ #

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I too think that my blade geometry might not fit for the swarf tool path. But the question i put here was for asking about the tilt clearance angle. 

Assume that if blade geometry is fit for the swarf tool path then clearance angle=0 is fine or not??

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

Hi,

1. Swarf blade hase 2 modes of activation.

• With the collision check on - the initial alignment is to swarf the blade, but later collision avoidance by tilting and tool axis smoothing will generate a safe path. this is useful when performing point milling with the ball portion of the tool but want to align the lead angle to follow the blade blade rulling and not using the normal to the hub (as in Automatic). if you use a large depth of cut - you are likely to end with steps like the ones you show in the picture above.
  • With Collision check off - the tool would find the best fit alignment its profile to the blade cross section. this makes it ideal for swarfing (/flank milling - cutting with the side of the tool). the down side is that in case the blade is not "swarfable" - you may end up with gouges. it is recommended to carefully check the result. since this mode do not attempt to cut with the ball portion - it allows using bull nose or flat end mills with or without taper angle.

2. clearance angle has different meaning with the two modes:

• with collision check on - the same as usual - increases the taper angle of the tool used for path generation and this way allows an angular clearance between the side of the tool and the blade geometry.
  • with collision check off - it let the user control the lead angle at the begining / end of cut relative to the natular direction. this is useful to engage the blade gradually.

Tilt Clearance Angle.jpg

Yours,

Eddy Finaro
NX CAM Product Manager
Siemens PLM

Learn online

Solution Information