Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Keyseat cutting. Rough groove without a ton of tool paths?

Cutting a .440 wide groove with a .125 fl keyseat cutter. What I would like to do is this.

1. Path down the center .030 wide into the groove.

2. Path down the top .030 wide in

3. path down the bottom .030 wide in

Repeat until groove width is reached.

Is there an easy way to accomplish this?

Using NX9 MP1

NX11.0.1
2 REPLIES

Re: Keyseat cutting. Rough groove without a ton of tool paths?

Dstryr,

Without spending a lot of time on this, it looks like the short answer is not easily or clean you can't.

Is your slot a straight line, or is it contoured?

It might be quicker to write a sub program with the path to cut the slot and then position the tool to the start point of the pass you want to make and run the sub program.  Otherwise I was finding that it's hard to cut from the middle up and down, at the same time, in alternate directions, in the same operation Smiley Happy I think you could make a path that's basically a pocketing routine and then trim the excess in tool path edit.  You could also do it with a curve/point drive method and draw the lines in there.

Jake Hardwick
CNC Programmer
Senior Aerospace AMT
Production NX8.5.3.3 Beta testing NX10.0.1.4

Re: Keyseat cutting. Rough groove without a ton of tool paths?

Hi,

Have you tried the new groove milling operation? as you can set it to start in the middle and then machine top then bottom controlled by number of passes see image below.

You can alter these settings in the cut level section.  I know that you may have tried this already but  thought I would throw it in there.

Hope this is of use.

Have a good day.

Regards

Dave
NX10.0.3MP13
NX11.0.1
Production
TC10
Vericut 7.3,7.4.1,8.0.2

Learn online

Solution Information