cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lathe operation

Good afternoon,

I want to ask for your help, how I can do to make my lathe operations and then my postprocessor, because I'm physically flip the piece. What I have to do ?, A new coordinate system? new turning workpiece?

Attached is a picture, thanksLathe.png

4 REPLIES

Re: Lathe operation

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

To make sure I understand...

- You have a single spindle lathe

- you put the blank in

- you turn the "front" side of the part

- you take it out, flip it end-for-end, put it back in and turn the "rear" end of the part

- (with possible change of jaws, etc, when flipping end-for-end)

You have a couple (or more) choices.

1) Do each setup in a separate part.  Export the "in process" model from the first to the second

(I'm not sure, but I don't think there's a way to directly have the 2nd setup part reference the first setups IPW?)

2) Do both in the same part.  2 separate groups of "geometry view" objects (MCS/Workpiece/Turning workpiece/...).   2nd turn setup to the right of first turn setup (so both can be viewed at same time without overlap).  In 2nd "turning workpiece" object define blank as transferring from first (NX10 docs: CAM -> manufacturing turning -> Program a turn-around part on a single spindle lathe)

I use 2 different program view groups as well, then configure the post to split the output into 2 programs using MOM_start_of_group & MOM_end_of_group

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Starting with NX 8 or 8.5, you can reference the IPW of a separate part file as the blank, if both use the same component as the CAD part.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Thank You,

I made an arrangement like the attached imageLathe.png

How can I do that?

I've defined my blank as the IPW Part of previous work, but I do not show the limits of ipw for new operations it is as I had not done anything to my workpiece.

Lathe00.png

Lathe.png

Lathe02.png

Thanks Stefan Pendl

Learn online

Solution Information