Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Solved! Go to solution

Lathe: trochoidal grooving function

Hello,

I'm getting back to using NX after about 8 years off and was try to see if NX10 has a lathe trochoidal grooving function. I have used this toolpath on other lowerend CAM softwares and found it very effective. Short of using TEACH or driving a curve I have not found anything, but then again I'm  still finding my around it again. 

mqdefault.jpg

Thanks in advance. 

6 REPLIES
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author kklaver
‎05-11-2016 04:23 PM

Re: Lathe: trochoidal grooving function

It can be done with lathe OD roughing, but offhand I don't remember the parameters.

I keep suggesting SPLM get with Sandvik and get an operation template op set up for this, but apparently it falls on deaf ears (maybe I should file an ER?)

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Solution
Solution

It can be done with lathe OD roughing, but offhand I don't remember the parameters.

I keep suggesting SPLM get with Sandvik and get an operation template op set up for this, but apparently it falls on deaf ears (of course, as I haven't filed an ER, maybe it never gets from PLMworld to the actual developers!)

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

[ Edited ]

Thanks Ken, I will give the OD Rough a go. See what I can make it do.

Solution
Solution

Hello.

Take a look at the attached file...I mimicked Sandvik Tech guide years ago...

Unfortunately...all our requests for Siemens to get with Sandvik & other mfg vendors keep falling on deaf ears...sigh…

Please let me know if you have questions related to the toolpath.

Kal.

NX 9.0.3.4 MP12
PB 9.0.3.2
Vericut7.3.4

Sandvik has taught 2 methods in the past - teach mode, or using linear zig-zag patttern.

This Sandvik video is for NX6, but the methods can still be used to get paths like these:

turn_sandvik_1.jpgturn_sandvik_2.jpg

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

I have heard for a couple of years that Volumill is working on a dymanic lathe path but dont know how close it is to being released. Sandvik promotes the dynanic tool paths in almost all HRSA materials using either button tools or the CoroCut full nose radius tools, it is a standard toolpath in many other CAM packages and the lack of it in NX certainly makes it more difficult for customers to implement and consequently lose the benefit of the dynamic tool paths in HRSA materials.

Mike

NX 10.0.3.5
Win 7

Learn online

Solution Information