Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Licence requirements for ISV, CSE customisation

Phenom
Phenom

I am trying to understand software requirements to customise Machine simulators.
This "What's New" link suggest CSE can now be programmed with python.

Is a Machine Configurator license required to customise a python based CSE machine simulator?

Thanks

Alex

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Licence requirements for ISV, CSE customisation

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hello Alex,

the short answer is: No MC license required to customize driver in Python

But ;-) there is still an MCF file needed even when you run parser plus driver programmed with Python. The one MCF file is the container to define which controller and which parser is used. In addition to this the transformation stack is not yet possible to be defined in python. For those settings a MC is needed. We plan to change this in the future and remove the need for an MCF file.

Hope that clarifies your question.

Thomas Schulz
Siemens PLM
Manufacturing Engineering Software

Phenom
Phenom

@SpaceTom 

Thanks for the info.

We are looking to improve our current simulators.

We do not have a Machine Configurator license.

All have been created by modifying OOTB simulators to match our machines.

They are all missing some functionality eg Turning on MillTurn machine or Head Change.

The machines are a range of vertical and horizontal 5 axis millturn MAZAK's (99% FANUC compatible gcode)

e1060v -  Vertical 5axis Head Table with Turning

e1550v - Vertical 5axis Head Table with Turning

e420h   - Horizontal 5axis Head Table with Turning & Subspindle

v140ht - Vertical 5axis Head Head with Bridge (W axis) and auxiliary Turning and mill (U-axis) and Head changer

Is a python CSE driver capable of simulating these machines?

As I read your reply, with the transformation stack not supported, NO?

Will it ever be possible with thes machines?

If so what is a likely time frame?

I had access to a trial version of Machine Configurator and found the XML coding excruciating, being able to code the CSE with python would be an improvement.

Thanks

Alex

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hello Alex,

thanks for the details and your current situation. Let me try to explain where we are.

Today with CSE all the machines and capabilities you listed are possible to simulate. Millturns and head change situations mostly require some machine specific customization. I agree that the XML Code is not convenient for programming, but this is what we successfully have in place since years. On the other hand it is the reason why we start moving to python. With NX9 we started to switch to python. we started with the parser first and with NX12 now we have enhanced the api to also configure the driver by python. As mentioned we doing this step by step and today some data is still needed to be defined inside the XML code base like the transformation stack and other settings, but we planning to offer a way to configure drivers fully without the need of XML code and the Machine Configurator, but I can not commit to any release, but as we doing continuously releasing in the meantime with NX my hope is to get this done in the near future. Please accept that I will not give you a NX release or any date, as I like to communicate that only if we have that fully planned and defined.

Stay tuned and check out the new versions of NX.

Thomas Schulz
Siemens PLM
Manufacturing Engineering Software

Phenom
Phenom

@SpaceTom 

Thanks for the information, We will probably go ahead using Machine Configurator and watch this space.

Alex

Learn online

Solution Information