Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lock Axis on Rapid Unlock on Cut

Phenom
Phenom

Before I create my own UDE.

in NX9 

Is there a way to set UDE's on Approach, Departure & Traverse Non-Cutting moves in Planar, Z-Level and HoleMilling operations?

"Fixed Contour" "Non Cutting Moves" have the option of UDE's  on approach, departure. and traverse.

NCM Contour.GIF

This allows setting of "Lock Axis ON" at End of Approach and "Lock Axis OFF" at Start of Traverse.

This could be used to rotate the table to a position must likely to be in range of the axis limits and with max clearance of spindle and head from part and fixture. 

Rant ON

Why are the NCM options different between Contour and other operation types? I though the reason for screwing up CAM between NX4 and NX8 was to make NCM consistent between all operation types.

Rant OFF

This is contour op with UDE's set as described Output from 5axis head Table Post below.

Contour.GIF

G90G0Y0B0C0
G43X200.Z50.H1
Z0
G1X194.F250.
G17G2I6.J0
G1X200.
G0Z50.
C90.
Z0
G1Y6.
G2I0J-6.
G1Y0
G0Z50.
C180.
Z0
G1X206.
G2I-6.J0
G1X200.
G0Z50.
C270.
Z0
G1Y-6.
G2I0J6.
G1Y0
G0Z50.

8 REPLIES

Re: Lock Axis on Rapid Unlock on Cut

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius

Hi,

Today the start events are not available to be set with planar milling Non Cutting Moves (NCMs). adding those is doable, but we would like to balance the functionality and the usability. Any feedback from to help us reach this balance and determine interest in this functionality will be appreciated by development. Are there others that need this ability?

Eddy Finaro
NX CAM Product Manager
Siemens PLM

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

If you want to "pre-set" the rotary axis values for an operation, note there is the 'Rotate" UDE.

I typically use:

Axis = A/B/C axis

Type = Absolute

Direction = None

Angle status = checked

Angle = desired angle (note typically you only need to be "close" to the solution you desire)

Reference only - no output = "checked"

Also, if your post does NOT output "From" point data, you can typically specify a tool axis on the "from" point to get you close.

Note the "closest" rotary point will be used, where "closest" = minimum of sum of both rotary axis deltas  - i.e. if delta A = 90 and delta C = 0, that is "closer" than if delta A = 50 and delta C = 50, as (90+0) < (50+50)

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Phenom
Phenom

@Ken_A
This is for Approach and Departure and Traverse moves within an operation.

On our machines with 5ax Head Table config some of them are limited in X and Y.
eg Mazak 1550 has X+1775 but only X-100 and +-775 in Y

If the B-axis(head) is at any angle other than 0 there are only 2 solutions and the B+ is the one we usually use.

In the case of B0 the table can be at any angle.
For separate operations we can use:

• Rotate UDE

or if I don't want to guess the best angle

• Lock Axis XY plane Y0
  • Approach marker
  • Lock Off

The "Lock On" before Traverse and "Lock Off" after Approach was make it possible to do PCD's etc without breaking it into separate operations. 

As I showed previously it is possible to put UDE's on Approach Departure and Traverse moves in the NCM on Contour operation types.
It is not possible in Hole Making, Planar, Z-level or any type other than contour.

@Eddy_Finaro

It is possible to hide options on dialogs.

I cannot see any downside to having more control.

Possible uses other than for my rotate/lock case.

1. Clamping
  2. Spindle speed change (gun drilling)
  3. Coolant on off
  4. I'm sure there are many more

Phenom
Phenom

Just me then? I hope not.

Speak up now if you if you think Z-level, Planar and Holemaking NCM (Non Cutting Moves) should have the same Transfer options, control and flexibility as Contour type operations.

Planar Transfer

PlanarTransfer.GIF

Contour

ContourTransfer.GIF

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius

Hi Agrivas,

Support your call for the others to speak up if they think it is important. Wanted to clarify two things:

1. The non cutting moves of planar operations and 3X/5X ones are different for a good reason. Planar operations are "thinking" 2D. the info they have is level based. that consist of part trace, blank trace, safe shape etc. 3D operations do not keep close trace over IPW state, and basically relly on the part and stocks / clearances. the big project we did to unify the look and feel was to give to the user similarity in interaction. in the background the processors are still different and the options the user have are kind of "tailored to the application". by no mean I suggest to unify both, just looking to see what are the functionalities you are missing and one by one we will look into to see if this is feasible and is a common request.
  2. We currently do not have a mechanism to show "Basic" / "Advanced" controls. it is not only adding or removing it from the dialog. when you are in "Basic" you do not want hidden controls to change the generated path. in 3X/5X we added the Smooth Connections which goes half way in minimizing the user options. for planar operations we do not have a way to enable the user to select between showing (+considering) and hiding (+disregarding) new options like start events. this is why I ask for more feedback. is it really helpful for many of you or will it just annoy you.

Hope this wasn't too boring.. Smiley Happy  

Eddy Finaro
NX CAM Product Manager
Siemens PLM

Phenom
Phenom

@Eddy_Finaro

Eddie,

I appreciate there are functional differences between Z-Level/Planar operation types and Contouring Operations.

My main hope is others agree that Start/End Events at approach departure and traverse are useful.

Thanks for the Input

Regards

Alex

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Some other options (I'm not saying your desired enhancment isn't a good idea, I'm just trying to get you what you need given existing functionality)

1) You could change the axis limits.  E.g. for an Integrex, set 0 <= B <=180.  That would prevent the B-xxx options from being chosen.  Either set in post builder, or add UDE to adjust limits "on the fly"

2) Add code to post to look at mom_pos and mom_alt_pos, and modify as needed

3) Look at mom_motion_event  and/or mom_motion_type - if you can isolate testing/changing output to certain event types for operations, you could either let the post do it automatically, or add a UDE to say "for event type xxx, do this" and add  the code to linear/arc/rapid/other motions as appropriate.

Ken

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Phenom
Phenom

@Ken_A

1. "Axis limits", Already do that. doesn't effect B0 (Spindle parallel to C axis)
  2. "mom_alt_pos", As above
  3. "mom_motion_type", Already do that. doesn't have the distinction between "Initial", "Final", "Within Regions", "Between Regions", etc

It is frustrating that I can get exactly what I want from Contour operation types and not others, without any post mods etc.

99% of the time I can get what I want, Its even possible to split the operation into multiple ones, Then we have the fun off keeping feed speed geometry and other settings consistent.

I'm now looking at UF to see whats possible

Regards

Alex

Learn online

Solution Information