Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Lower Limit Plane

Hello all,

I'd like to get some feedback on your use of Lower Limit Plane which is in the Cutting Parameters of planar operations such as Floor Wall, Cavity Mill and Planar Mill. If you use it regularly in your workflow, which of the three actions parameters do you normally choose? What do you normally use the function for, machine limits, fixture protection, or something else?

5 REPLIES

Re: Lower Limit Plane

I've never used it.  I guess I don't really know what it does.  I would be intersted in knowing more about it though.

Jeff Sauers, Lead CNC Programmer, Oberg Industries

Production: NX 10.0.3.5, Vericut 8.0

I also have never had a need for it. My floor is where the path stops anyway. I tried using it once and it prevents the path from dropping below the plane. Almost like a secondary floor. It became one of those options I learned to look through like it isn't there.
Production: NX 11.0.1.11 MP2 Primarily CAM

In my 22 years using UG/NX, I've used it about 10 to 15 times and only in planar mill. Last used is a couple of years ago.
It can be a good option in very specific cases, but trough out the NX versions there came better options to achive what lower limit plane does.
Usually the reason to use it was, Tool length limit or part protection (using the planar mill, multiple depth passes, landing on a inclined floor)

lowerlimit1.png

Patrick Delisse
KMWE - DutchAero
NX11.0, CAMPOST V22, Vericut 8.0

Once Z_level_profile came along it almost eliminated the need for this. I did not know about using it on a tapered floor though. Good to know.
Production: NX 11.0.1.11 MP2 Primarily CAM

The lower limit plane can be specified inside of an MCS group to be inherited by all contained operations.

If I remember correctly only the level-based operation types support it, contour operations don't support it, but that would be great.

The only use-case I would have would be to have a general limit for machining from both sides.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Learn online

Solution Information