Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Solved! Go to solution

MILL_BND - Specify Part Boundaries - Changing default values

Hi,

I tried customizing the MILL_BND sub-dialog of Specify Part Boundaries of planar_mill.prt .

Today, when I click on the button Specify Part Boundaries it chooses:

Selection Method = Face

Tool Side = Outside

Plane = Automatic

What I need to use is:

Selection Method = Curves

Boundary Type = Open

Tool Side = Inside

Changing the values in MILL_BND has no effect when I call Insert -> Geometry with mill_planar.prt and choose MILL_BND.

Does anyone know another way of how to change the three values permanently?

Best wishes,
Joachim

In production NX 11.0.1.11 D3
12 REPLIES

Re: MILL_BND - Specify Part Boundaries - Changing default values

The best you can do is to change some of these settings through the customer defaults, if I remember correctly.

I think the boundary dialog is one of those not remembering the last settings used, so dialog memory is disabled for it by the developers.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Stefan,

this is one issue. I was not able to find the right manufacturing customer default for this.

I tried the customer default in Manufacturing -> Boundaries called Temporary Milling Boundard and Boundary Plane. Whatever Legacy means in this context, these customer defaults have nothing to do with a MILL_BND.

I also checked Manufacturing -> Selection with Selection Intent Rules. Nothing in this area either.

The unfortunate issue here is that the geometry parents like MILL_BND are a recent re-development.

Still, thanks for your quick reply.

Best wishes,
Joachim

I think we need to file an enhancement request for this, since the boundary dialog is undergoing a redesign and finally planar milling will be using the new dialog stating with NX 11.0.1 too.

Seems the settings in the boundary section of the customer defaults are only used for the dialog to create permanent boundaries and the old (legacy) dialog previous to NX 11.0.1

Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1

I am familiar with this area, so let me explain.

MILL_BND geometry groups have been around since V16 (~1999), so this is not the first time we have heard this request. There are five ERs in this area -- the master is ER 1417671.

With a few small exceptions, updating the boundary dialogs does not change the database, it is only UI. We did this intentionally to make sure there were no part conversion issues with old boundaries. With the UI update almost complete, we can again look at the functionality.

We are looking at this again in our planning. The problem is more complicated that it appears, because we need different defaults for different boundary types, and today we handle this internally. And we can't easily use templates because many of the options are only stored if geometry is selected, such as the selection method Face/Curve/Points. So the most likely solution would be customer defaults, like you see for selection intent or the legacy permanent boundaries.   

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Added my two cents by creating ER#7863365 to request support for customer defaults and dialog memory by the boundary dialogs Smiley Wink

[ Edited ]

I understand Siemens´issue. Let me see how I can connect Stefans ER to our internal requirements database.

From the user point of view using customer defaults or dialog memory seems not to be the most efficient. In prototyping we have two clear use cases:

- milling over a casted eye (on, "Augen ueberfraesen")

- milling along an edge (tanto)

If this is set in the customer default, I cannot cover those two cases for one client.

Best wishes,
Joachim

This would be a total new way in my opinion and would need more time investment due to new coding.

Dialog memory and customer defaults are already established and must only be "enabled".

Hi Stefan,

I "corrected" my last post to reflect this. You are right.

Best wishes,
Joachim

Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author JSchraitle
‎10-21-2016 09:01 AM

I would say we should start by supporting what is already available and afterwards do some fine tuning.

1. enable customer defaults to support customizing the initial settings of the different boundary types
  2. enable dialog memory to remember user changes throughout or across sessions
    • may be make it a customer default for each boundary type too, since some boundary types are always configured the same
  3. allow rearranging the dialog items to better support the selection workflow of the user
    • dialog customization is already available for other CAM objects, so should be doable
  4. allow remembering the selection settings on a per template basis
    • needs additional parameters for the boundary dialog object
    • seems to be the most complex task, since there is nothing similar available yet

It should be fairly easy to develop a custom dialog for your two special cases in the meantime to overcome this shortcoming until the final implementation of the enhancements.

As a side note, would it be possible to use anything else instead of boundaries to specify the geometry?

What is available?

An image of the resulting tool path with its defining geometry would help.

I would also start a new thread for each situation to better discuss the possibilities separately.

Learn online

Solution Information