cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Machine Configurator - Angled head integration IS&V

Experimenter
Experimenter

For those of you who are interested in intergrating angled heads into custom machine IS&V, no post processor changes required. You will need an advanced license for tecnomatix machine configurator to modify the .MCF file found in the cse_drivers folder. In this case I used OOTB sim09_mill_5ax simulation sample. It has the capability of using right angle head adapters on a 5 axis head-table machine.

Open - sim09_mill_5ax_fanuc.MCF using tecnomatix machine configurator.

Save as - (overwrite your current machine.MCF file) Make sure you backed everything up first...

Check axis configuration - set values to match your machine configuration. Our machine A axis rotates about the X axis. Swiveling chain name is most important. It must match your machine "Chains" name.

Capture1.JPG

Next we have to modify the metadata code. Select the Methods tab. Find GMe_GetActiveChainName. Click on Edit method. Expand all views. Ensure correct chain name is used in both variables as seen below.Picture1.pngSave file. 

Copy "Toolchange.prg" from the sim09_mill_5ax\cse_driver\fanuc\subprog folder.

Paste into (your machine cse_driver\fanuc\subprog) folder.

Open file. Notice how the tool number affects how the adapter head functions.

Default behaviour looks at any tool defined with T# 4201-4299. This can be changed to suite your needs. Picture2.png

Picture3.png

Final step - machine tool junctions have to match the same naming conventions of the machine configuration that was used as the template. In this case sim09 machine configuration was used, so certain junction names have to be changed to match. For example; child of spindle must be named "MACH_POCKET", and the referenced junction name "S_M". Capture.JPG

Thats it!! Good Luck

Cant seem to get the video to work... try unzip and open movie.7z

Grant Clemo

Programmer

Electro-Methods, inc.

Siemens NX 11.0.1

9 REPLIES

Re: Machine Configurator - Angled head integration IS&V

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom
Hi Grant,

thanks for the very valuable feedback! :-)

What I would like to know is, how did you get involved with that topic? Which documents did you used? How much time did you used?

Thanks
Thomas

Experimenter
Experimenter
Hi Thomas,

Recently I was tasked with integrating a right angle head on our new 5 axis machine. Since I have already built our machine in IS&V and have been running proven code, I just adopted OOTB simulation sample from sim09 to incorporate the head adapter functionality.

As far as documents used, I have followed the OOTB simulation info found in: C:\Program Files\Siemens\NX 11.0\MACH\samples\nc_simulation_samples\Working_with_OOTB_MACH_Simulation_Examples.pdf.
Also, i have spent some time watching the videos found on the topic in the "Tech Tips" section.

I am using a trial license for the advanced machine configurator, which was necessary to modify the metacode. Once I got the license, I was able to get it running withing a few minutes. I am able to have 2 separate machine configurations running IS&V with and without the head adapter and they both share the same post.

Thanks again,

Grant Clemo
Programmer
Electro-Methods, inc.
Siemens NX 11.0.1

Legend
Legend

Hi,
As far as I see in the example above, the procedure ToolChange uses fixed tool numbers (4201-4299) and fixed head name ("RA_ADAPTER").
Is it possible during toolchange to get the head name by tool name, as shown in the Operation Navigator tree (MILL => HEAD_POCKET => RA_ADAPTER)?

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi,

There are some commands available within the Any Controller language reference documents that should allow you to query these object names, instead of having them hard coded. From what I can see, the variables "Carrier Name" and "Pocket ID" should contain the values that would need to be used to update "strPocketName" and  "strHeadName" in the ToolChange.prg subprogram.

The documentation can be found by searching the local help files under Doc Center > Home > CAM > ISV > CSE > AnyController Language reference.

When I have some time, I will try to modify the Toolchange.prg to accomodate accordingly.

Thanks,

Grant Clemo

Programmer

Electro-Methods, Inc.

Siemens NX 11.0.1 

Siemens Phenom
Hi Frobi,

there is no CSE/AC function to do this. You are responsible to match the tool with the head.

Thomas

Legend
Legend

It's a pity. If I may use several angled heads in my device library, every time I'll have to edit the procedure ToolChange.prg and to change fixed tool numbers and headnames Smiley Sad

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi Frobi,

So far I have managed to sucessfully use several angled heads from my device library with unique head names and tool numbers in the same CAM project file.

I added some conditional statements to the ToolChange.prg to allow different head names and tool number ranges. Depending on how many angled heads you have in your library, you can add them into your ToolChange.prg sub to accomodate your device library naming conventions. The only requirement is that the angle head device has the same junction name, in this case "S_M". HeadName and PocketName can be unique. This is set up in the kinematics of the device. 

Here is an example of extra conditional statements based on the original ToolChange.prg:

IF((nToolID/100)==42);
strHeadName = "RA_ADAPTER";
mountHead(strHeadName,strPocketJunction );
grasp ( strHeadName, getJunction(strPocketName, strPocketJunction ));
position ( strHeadName, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0);
visibility (strHeadName, ON, TRUE);
strPocketName = "HEAD_POCKET";
strPocketJunction = "S_H";
ENDIF;

IF((nToolID/100)==43);
strHeadName = "RA_ADAPTER_1";
strPocketName = "HEAD_POCKET";
ENDIF;

IF((nToolID/100)==44);
strHeadName = "RA_ADAPTER_2";
strPocketName = "H2_POCKET";
ENDIF;

Hope this helps.

Grant Clemo

Legend
Legend

I know this, but I would like to more flexible method - any tool in any head.
To modify procedures for each new device is not a good style of programming.

Siemens Phenom

Hi Frobi,

then talk to your channel manager that he contacts our product manager for an ER.

Thomas

Learn online

Solution Information