Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Machine specific UDE's

Creator
Creator

Hi everyone,

I would like to ask a question regarding creating machine specific UDEs. I have created a lot of specific UDEs assotiated with a specific machine. I am outputing CLSF, which is then post processed by a third party post processor. Everything works really nice.

However, I would like to see the UDEs only when I am programming the machine, not all the time. Is there a way how to load a machine file or a template into my NX, so that I can see and use different sets of UDEs? This would really help me to clean up the way I am using the UDEs right now.

Thank you very much for a help, I really do appreciated!

All the best

Ales

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Machine specific UDE's

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Yes, you can get your machine specific UDE's by loading a machine tool into the setup file, even if you don't have the kinematics defined or even the machine tool model. Let me explain.

If no machine is loaded into the manufacturing assembly then one single source for UDE's is used. You can customize your UDE's into this list, but it would then have to contain all your custom UDE's for every machine tool. Not the most efficient way if your list is long. Loading a machine tool located in the mach-->resource-->library-->machine-->installed machines directory will bring the custom UDE's for that specific machine tool because it brings in the custom list from its own postprocessor subdirectory.

Many CAM programmers don't consider this when they don't have an actual machine tool model with properly defined kinematics and perhaps the CSE driver. However, it is not necessary to have these things to load the post information for that machine tool which contains the machine specific custom UDE's.

To take advantage of this, simply create a new folder in the installed_machines directory and another postprocessor subdirectory within it. Copy your machine post information there. Next, add a .dat file in the machine's directory to point to the post .def file. Finally, add the new machine to the list in the machine_database.dat file but don't include information about the machine graphics.

So for example, I have a post for a Tarus MM5 machine with a Heidenhain controller with no machine model or kinematics that I was using for customer specific testing. There is a folder in the installed_machines directory named TARUS_MM5. The .dat file immediately inside it is named Tarus_MM5_tnc.dat. This file contains only one line which is the following:

Tarus_MM5_tnc,${UGII_CAM_LIBRARY_INSTALLED_MACHINES_DIR}Tarus_MM5\postprocessor\heidenhaintnc_PostConfigurator\Tarus_MM5_tnc.tcl,${UGII_CAM_LIBRARY_INSTALLED_MACHINES_DIR}Tarus_MM5\postprocessor\heidenhaintnc_PostConfigurator\Tarus_MM5_tnc.def

There is a postprocessor subfolder and another subfolder inside that named heidenhaintnc_PostConfigurator which contains all the post-processor files and subdirectories.

In my machine_database.dat file I added the following line for the machine:

DATA|Tarus_MM5_tnc|MDM0101|Tarus High Performance 5 Axis Clay Model Mill|HeidenhainTNC|Example|${UGII_CAM_LIBRARY_INSTALLED_MACHINES_DIR}Tarus_MM5\Tarus_MM5_tnc.dat|1.000000|

Those who often customize this file will notice that the line is short of the usual machine graphics information. This is ok.

Now when I load this machine tool into the manufacturing setup I will have the machine specific post and UDE list only.

Highlighted

Phenom
Phenom

Yes , you can...

• In this file "MACH\resource\library\machine\ascii\machine_database.dat" add  e.g :
DATA|ALEX MACHINE|MDM0901|ALEX MACHINE|None|-|${UGII_CAM_TOOL_PATH_DIR}alexmachine.dat|1.000000|
  • In this file : ${UGII_CAM_TOOL_PATH_DIR}alexmachine.dat write :
CLSF_ALEX,${UGII_CAM_TOOL_PATH_DIR}clsfalex.tcl,${UGII_CAM_TOOL_PATH_DIR}clsfalex.def
  • In this file ${UGII_CAM_TOOL_PATH_DIR}clsfalex.def add :
MACHINE UG_CLSF

INCLUDE {$UGII_CAM_USER_DEF_EVENT_DIR/alex.cdl}

FORMATTING 
{
WORD_SEPARATOR "," 
END_OF_LINE    "" 
FORMAT  Vector     "%-.7f"
  • In this file : ${UGII_CAM_USER_DEF_EVENT_DIR}/alex.cdl add your ude e.g :
MACHINE ALEX_MACHINE
#-----------------------------------------------------------------

EVENT ALEXude
{
   UI_LABEL "Alex Ude"
   CATEGORY MILL DRILL
   PARAM command_status
   {
      TYPE o
      DEFVAL "Active"
      OPTIONS "Active","Inactive"
      UI_LABEL "Status"
   }
}
#-----------------------------------------------------------------

Now turn on Nx , open a part > application Manufacturing > Ont Machine tool view > Double click on "GENERIC_MACHINE"

Modify your machine by clicking here : "Retrieve Machine from library" and choose : ALEX MACHINE (GENERIC)

Now your UDE is active only for this machine...

As a bonus , You don't need to process your clsf with the default button , but you can process by "Post Process" button

Voilà...

EDIT@jkane1 was faster than me , but I think is a little bit different with the cls file

Production: NX11.0.2.7,VERICUT 8.1.2
Development: Tcl/Tk, Gnuplot
www.adgroupe.com

Creator
Creator
Hi jkane1,

thanks a lot for your prompt answer. I was just wondering whether this would work for me. I am not using any post processor. I only output CLSF and run that through my post processor.
Even though, what you are proposing is exactly what I want. I used to use it with the whole simulation and a kinematic model of the machine. It has worked very well. Now I use NX in a way that I do not have to load any machine definitions and just program and output CLSF.
If I do not have a post, do I need to load all the post-processor files and subdirectories as you mentioned? I do not have any, all I would need is the clsf.tcl and clsf.def. How is this handeled? the cslf files contain exactly what I want (the code), or they just point to the files that contain the code.
Sorry, if I have too many questions, but I am just trying to wrap my head around this.

Thank you very much and have a nice day!

Best regards

Ales

Creator
Creator
Hi mkn,

thanks a lot for the answer.

I do not understand completly as I have never done this before. Where are all these files located?
•In this file : ${UGII_CAM_TOOL_PATH_DIR}alexmachine.dat write
•In this file ${UGII_CAM_TOOL_PATH_DIR}clsfalex.def add
•In this file : ${UGII_CAM_USER_DEF_EVENT_DIR}/alex.cdl add your ude e.g

Thank you very much for the answer!

best regards

Ales

Phenom
Phenom

Hi @Alex19 ,

All variables can be found in log file you can find this file in Nx :

menu > help > Log File...

Usually :

• UGII_CAM_TOOL_PATH_DIR = your\installation\MACH\resource\tool_path
  • UGII_CAM_USER_DEF_EVENT_DIR = your\installation\MACH\resource\user_def_event

I intentionally changed the name of files but you can keep the real name , but i prefer for not to make mistakes...

That said : 

• alexmachine.dat > template_clsf.dat (UGII_CAM_TOOL_PATH_DIR)
  • clsfalex.def > clsf.def (if you use CLSF_STANDARD or CLSF_ADVANCED ...)
  • alex.cdl : In this file you can add all Ude(s) for your machine (ALEX_MACHINE) it's the one that you must created... with inside the name of your machine, don't forget...

Production: NX11.0.2.7,VERICUT 8.1.2
Development: Tcl/Tk, Gnuplot
www.adgroupe.com

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

In this case I think the easiest way would be to create a dummy post that contains your machine specific UDE's and drop that into the installed_machines directory that I mentioned before. It won't matter that the post isn't properly defined but only that your UDE's will be contained when loading the machine tool.

You can probably copy and paste an existing post from the provided libraries and then add your UDE's to the .cdl file, then put all that into the custom machine folder and add it to the list of machines in the machine_database.dat file as I previously described. The UDE's will output to the .cls file as you desire, but only the machine specific UDE's will show up from the post contained within the loaded machine in the Machine Tool View.

Learn online

Solution Information