cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Machine specific template and configuration

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Since the PAX files for the file => new template parts have the ability to specify the configuration to use, I thought that this configuration would be remembered across sessions, but that is not the case Smiley Sad

What is the best practice to set up a file => new template where the resulting CAM parts always use the configuration specified in the PAX file?

Thanks in advance for some pointers into the right direction.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX12.0

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community
15 REPLIES

Re: Machine specific template and configuration

The active configuration at the time the setup is created should be saved in the setup. If you do Menu > Information > Manufacturing Setup, are you seeing the config you expect? 

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Stefan, this I ask me for a long time. We also work with a PAX-file and specific OPT-files for each setup, which is stated in the configuration-file. If I create a new CAM-part I get the templates from the specific OPT-File. If I leave NX and open my new CAM-Part again I always get the Templates form the manufacturing-presets:

2017-03-10 14_16_25-Voreinstellungen für Fertigung.png

This is not good. I want to have the templates from creating the CAM-part !!!

I always wondered why this behaviour is accepted by the users.

Werner

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

If I open a part created through the template in a new NX session, I get the following as CAM setup information:

---------- Setup Information ----------
Configuration            : hai_cam_part_planner_mrl_CAM
Setup Template           : KST4422_DMU_80P_metric_NX100
Part Material            : Undefined

This is the regular CAM configuration, which is not supported by this machine.

My PAX file contains the following:

<PaletteEntry id="d1">
        <References/>
        <Presentation name="KST4422 DMU 80P 4G Sinumerik 840D 4.7" description="Schablone für automatisierte Bearbeitung">
            <PreviewImage type="UGPart" location="@DB/KST4422_DMU_80P_metric_NX100/A"/>
        </Presentation>
        <ObjectData class="CamTemplate">
            <Filename>@DB/KST4422_DMU_80P_metric_NX100/A</Filename>
            <Configuration>${UGII_CAM_CONFIG_DIR}hai_cam_part_planner_mrl_${HAI_NX_GROUP}_AutoDMU80.dat</Configuration>
            <LibraryClassPath>HAIDLMAIR</LibraryClassPath>
            <Units>Metric</Units>
            <UsesMasterModel>Yes</UsesMasterModel>
            <ItemType>MENCMachining</ItemType>
            <RelationType>master</RelationType>
        </ObjectData>
    </PaletteEntry>

I would expect the CAM setup information to always look like below for the parts created through the template above:

Configuration            : hai_cam_part_planner_mrl_CAM_AutoDMU80
Setup Template           : KST4422_DMU_80P_metric_NX100
Part Material            : Undefined

What needs to be changed to get the expected behavior?

We are currently running NX 10.0.3 MP12, but will update soon to MP13.

If the template configuration is not taken into account I see no reason to specify it at all.

Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1

I have never used the pax file without the setup library. Are the entries also in the setup library? The setup info should refer to the configuration and the libref of the setup:

Configuration            : cam_general
Setup Template           : Library
Libref                   : 120
Part Material Reference  : MAT0_00002
Part Material            : CARBON STEEL

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello!

In Attachement a movie where you see my method to create a new CAM-Part. You see as long as I don't leave NX I have the templates that I want. If I leave NX, restart it and open my last CAM-part again the system does not remember my templates.
You also find a WORD-file with my configuration.
What's wrong?

Thank you for investigation.

By the way, I have made the ER 7736803 in 12/2016:

Save Template-Set/Configuration in NXCAM-File

Short Description: We want to have changed a general topic in TC/NXCAM.The topic is: Template-Set. We work with TC and we have several entries in the template_part_planner.dat where the setup for the special machine and the corresponding templates are defined. This is OK.The thing is: This templates are fix for every time I open the CAM-Part born from this setup. If I later make "save as" and change the machine, I always get the templates from the first "File new".

What activity in your process is UG not able to currently handle? We want that always the last loaded template-set or the corresponding templates from the actual machine is saved with the CAM-Part.

What result are you trying to achieve? If I open an existing CAM-Part I want to have the last working template-set or the corresponding templates from the actual machine, not the template-set from creating the CAM-part.

Do you currently have a workaround?  I have the possibility to choose another template-set if I change the configuration, but this is valid only for the current session and is not saved with the CAM-Part.

Do you have a proposal for the solution you envision UG providing for this capability? No, this is a general topic.

What is the level of productivity gained from such an enhancement? The level is high. We have two applications: 1.)   If we have similar parts then we usually make "save as" and replace the machine. Usually we have a different configuration and different templates. 2.)   For some parts we create CAM-parts for different machines. In this case we also replace machine.  Usually we have a different configuration and different templates.In both cases this EG would help. We would like to change once the machine and the configuration should be OK And this should be saved with the CAM-Part. That's all.

Werner

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

MarkRief wrote:

I have never used the pax file without the setup library. Are the entries also in the setup library?

Why should I create a library entry for a file => new template?

According to IR#7634297 there is no template set file in Teamcenter anymore for NX 10 and above, so this is obsolete for managed NX.

Generally the creation of file => new templates for CAM is not documented in a way that one can easily do his own.

At least three or more sections of the NX documentation are needed and they are not linked together.

There might be example files shipping with NX, but without a good description of what needs to be done to create your own set of templates, there is no use of them.

I don't think that the library entry will change a thing about the configuration used when a machine specific part file needs a machine specific configuration.

Any pointers to a good documentation of how to create a machine specific configuration that is always used with a machine specific part file would be much appreciated.

Genius
Genius

Hi Stefan,

This is how we use it with our non-Teamcenter environment:

There are several files involved:
- the PAX file
- the so called CAM library (e.g. cam_library.dat found via UGII_CAM_CONFIG=${UGII_CAM_CUSTOM_DIR}cam_library.dat)
- template.dat
- template.def (this and the one before are found via UGII_CAM_LIBRARY_TEMPLATE_DATA_DIR=${UGII_CAM_CUSTOM_DIR}template_dir\)
- setup template part (in the example below: mill_base.prt)

The PAX file contains something like this:

<PaletteEntry id="id403">
    <References/>
    <Presentation name="Milling Serie" description="My comment v1.0.0.0" tooltip="This NX template creates an empty manufacturing part.">
        <PreviewImage type="UGPart" location="${UGII_CAM_TEMPLATE_PART_METRIC_DIR}machinery_express.jpg"/>
    </Presentation>
    <ObjectData class="CamTemplate">
   <!-- This is the seed part -->
   <Filename>${MY_CAM_TEMPLATE_PART_DIR}mill_base.prt</Filename>
   <!-- CAM enviroment to be used. Library template to be required for File->New -->
   <Configuration>${UGII_CAM_CUSTOM_DIR}cam_library.dat</Configuration>
   <!-- Use the first entry -->
            <LibraryClassPath>DEPT1</LibraryClassPath>
            <Units>Metric</Units>
            <UsesMasterModel>Yes</UsesMasterModel>
  </ObjectData>
  </PaletteEntry>

Let´s go through the relevant statements of the PAX file:

<Filename> Here you need to reference the setup template part (seed part) you want to create your
new CAM file from.
Please be careful, if I remember correctly, if the whole string is too long, then it may be that
NX doesn´t find the correct library entry of the template.dat (see later). Because of this, I used
an environment variable pointing directly to the directory of the template part.

<Configuration> According to the NX help this only works with a cam library configuration.
In our environment we use only one, but point the environment variable values used in it
to different values depending on the department. -> Thus, you usually would be using only
one cam library for your NX environment. Therefore, there is no need to several cam libraries.
About the .opt file referenced by the TEMPLATE_OPERATION line of the cam library: This is just
used if anything in how you set up NX CAM failed. If e.g. a user would just copy the template
part instead of using it with File->New... he would get the operation, geometry, ... templates
listed in the .opt file.

<LibraryClassPath> This helps if you want to structure your template.dat entries according to the
departments you are providing your NX CAM infrastructure to. You define a new LibraryClassPath
in the file template.def.

<UsesMasterModel> Yes: is mandatory. There is no option No!

template.def :
Added at the end this block specifies a new LibraryClassPath. Be careful, NAME and TYPE of the class
have to match the LibraryClassPath used in the PAX file!

CLASS DEPT1
{
   TYPE   DEPT1
   QUERY "[DB(tmpl_class)] == [DEPT1_TEMPL.]"
   DIALOG attribute1 attribute2
   RSET   libref attribute1 attribute2
}

The statement QUERY "[DB(tmpl_class)] == [DEPT1_TEMPL.]" contains the name of the department somehow
again. DEPT1_TEMPL. is the string (including the point) you have to use as TMPL_CLASS entry in the
template.dat. The name itself is not important it could be any name it just has to match (template.def <->
template.dat). I am using the point at the end because it is there in all Siemens OOTB files and I
didn´t want to figure out if it plays a role or not.

template.dat :
Start the librefs from 200 upwards. NX looks for the matching TMPL_CLASS and SETUP_TEMP (the 2 first columns
next to the LIBRF keyword.
If NX does not find the LibraryClassPath in the cam part and the cam part did not stem from a the specified path,
then no line is taken and the .opt file stated in the cam library is used as backup.

DATA | 223| DEPT1_TEMPL.| ${UGII_CAM_CUSTOM_DIR}template_part\mill_base.prt | ${UGII_CAM_CUSTOM_DIR}template_part\mill_planar.prt ${UGII_CAM_CUSTOM_DIR}template_part\mill_contour.prt ${UGII_CAM_CUSTOM_DIR}template_part\mill_multi-axis.prt ${UGII_CAM_CUSTOM_DIR}template_part\hole_making.prt ${UGII_CAM_CUSTOM_DIR}template_part\probing.prt ${UGII_CAM_CUSTOM_DIR}template_part\solid_tool.prt ${UGII_CAM_CUSTOM_DIR}template_part\machining_knowledge.prt | Milling, Drilling |  Metric
DATA | 224| DEPT1_TEMPL.| ${UGII_CAM_CUSTOM_DIR}template_part\turn_base.prt | ${UGII_CAM_CUSTOM_DIR}template_part\turning.prt ${UGII_CAM_CUSTOM_DIR}template_part\mill_planar.prt ${UGII_CAM_CUSTOM_DIR}template_part\mill_contour.prt ${UGII_CAM_CUSTOM_DIR}template_part\mill_multi-axis.prt ${UGII_CAM_CUSTOM_DIR}template_part\hole_making.prt ${UGII_CAM_CUSTOM_DIR}template_part\probing.prt ${UGII_CAM_CUSTOM_DIR}template_part\solid_tool.prt ${UGII_CAM_CUSTOM_DIR}template_part\machining_knowledge.prt | Turning, Milling, Drilling |  Metric
DATA | 222| DEPT2_TEMPL.| ${UGII_CAM_CUSTOM_DIR}template_part\mill_base.prt | ${UGII_CAM_CUSTOM_DIR}template_part\mill_planar.prt ${UGII_CAM_CUSTOM_DIR}template_part\mill_contour.prt ${UGII_CAM_CUSTOM_DIR}template_part\mill_multi-axis.prt ${UGII_CAM_CUSTOM_DIR}template_part\hole_making.prt ${UGII_CAM_CUSTOM_DIR}template_part\probing.prt ${UGII_CAM_CUSTOM_DIR}template_part\machining_knowledge.prt | Milling, Drilling |  Metric
DATA | 244| DEPT2_TEMPL.| ${MY_CAM_TEMPLATE_PART_DIR}START-PART_MILL.prt | ...

To keep some structure I add a new entry for a new setup template just below the one of the same department.
As you can see the librefs (200+) look kind of mixed up, but the TMPL_CLASS shows which department uses
which line with its setup templates.

I really hope I didn´t miss anything.

Best wishes,
Joachim

In production NX 11.0.1.11 D3

Genius
Genius
As stated by Mark: The correct way to check if you have set up everything correctly is the Information command to query the used libref (of the corresponding row of template.dat). If the command does not list a libref, then you have made a mistake.
Best wishes,
Joachim

In production NX 11.0.1.11 D3

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for the detailed description, but the problem is not with the basics, it is with NX not remembering the configuration specified in the PAX file.

I need a machine specific configuration, that is properly used in the same session a part has been created through file => new using the template, and if the part is opened in a new session.

Literally said, UGII_CAM_CONFIG is pointing to the machine specific configuration only in the session where a new part has been created using the template. In any other session, UGII_CAM_CONFIG is always pointing to the regular configuration.

The only place to specify a different session to use is the PAX file, there is neither the template.dat nor any other file where I can specify a different configuration for a particular template.

Learn online

Solution Information