Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Solved! Go to solution

Machine tools don't come when loaded in managed mode where the users resources are used

Hi guys,

I have a customer with NX/CAM that started using Teamcenter.

They are not using “postprocessors from Teamcenter” customer default option so everything is local to the CAM user(postprocessor and machine tool)

When the user opens NX in Native mode, he can load a machine without any problems.

When in managed mode, he can see his machines as in the attached picture

But when double clicks one, he gets this info window and nothing happens.

I see the change in the machine name up above, but machine is not loaded.

Strangely, when I try to postprocess an operation, it gives me the output of the machine that I couldn’t load the graphics for.

Where should I look at?

8 REPLIES

Re: Machine tools don't come when loaded in managed mode where the users resources are used

I don't know much about what is possible in managed NX environment - but we use TC - and in our setup - the posts are outside TC but the machine models are in it. The graphics directory is ignored. In TC - there is a classified machine model which is picked and used. The post path is pointed to in the TC classification.

NX10.03
Windows 7 Pro

Re: Machine tools don't come when loaded in managed mode where the users resources are used

[ Edited ]

OK. In your case machine model is imported into TC already I guess.

Isn't there a way to load a machine tool without putting it into TC from user's own resources?

But of course, the correct way is to import all the post and machine files to Teamcenter but I couldn't manage how to do that.

If there is a nice documentation on how to do that(not like the one in TC docs)

I saw a document explaining how to use "import_nxcam_post_files" in the TC Help PDF, but couldn't do it.

Cem

You can leave the post in native, and just have the machine model in TC.

We do it all the time, and have no plans to change (I used CVS, now use SVN, to rev control my posts.  From what little I've heard about putting posts in TC, I don't even want to try that).

Anyhow, just make sure the top-level assembly file has the same Item ID as the "unique reference" in the machine_database.dat.  I.e. if the machine_database.dat line is:

DATA|ABC_DEF1234_IN|4|ABC Model DEF1234 INCH|None|-|${UGII_CAM_POST_DIR}\ABC_DEF1234_IN\ABC_DEF1234_in.dat|1.000000|${UGII_CAM_LIBRARY_INSTALLED_MACHINES_DIR}ABC_DEF1234_in\graphics\ABC_DEF1234_in

Then the item ID of the top level of the machine assembly should be "ABC_DEF1234_IN" 

Before importing the assembly, make sure all the files in the assembly don't have names that would conflict with existing items in TC.  Plus all the usual "stuff" when importing assemblies into TC.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Hi Ken.
As this is my first implementation, Sadly I have no idea when you say SVN, CVS ,etcSmiley Happy my bad!
Isn't there any step by step doc on this?

Cem ALPAY
Yönetici
Üçgen Yazılım Ltd. Şti.
--Iphone'umdan gönderildi--
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author CemAlpay
‎08-26-2015 04:32 AM

Sorry to confuse you.

SVN and CVS are "programmer" source code revision control systems (typically used by C/C++/Java/etc. coders) (look up SVN/Subversion or CVS on Google)  They having nothing to do with NX/TC, except I use them to maintain revision control on my posts as I do development / bug fixes.

Just leave the posts where they are in native mode folders, using the ENV variable

UGII_CAM_POST_DIR to control where they are.

Import the machine assembly as the proper item ID, and you should be set.

Hi Ken,

Did what you told and everything works now.

Thank you very much.

But still interested to put these all into Teamcenter in order to make life easier for the users.

Cem

RE: Posts in teamcenter...

What I have understood about using posts in TC (I likely have mis-understood something)

1) All posts are treated as ONE object (not sure if it is one item in TC or what) 

2) Any time you use any post, ALL the posts get exported to a temp folder in native so they can be used to post a program.

I have 70+ posts.  I use sub-folders under UGII_CAM_POST_DIR to organize them into logical groupings.  I use "source" extensively to share common tcl procs.  I don't want them all being exported every time someone posts (and I have no idea if/how "source" would work with sub-folders).

If you want to share posts, take a look at the (ex) Rob Cohon customized environments.  If you are just 1 site, just set them up on a shared network drive.  If you are mutliple sites (and you don't want people to access files over a WAN) set it up idenitcally at every site & use a replication application (robocopy or vice-versa or...) to keep them in sync.

Ken

Hi Ken

I have been strugling with getting the ISV to work in TC for a while and finally thought I found the solution in this thread, but not so lucky. Tired of exporting the CAM-file to simulate.

Our TC has locked Item ID as a six digit number, so I tried using the number from the top-level assembly in the machine_database.dat, but that didn't work.

When replacing the machine it doesn't seem like NX is looking for it at all.

Could there be other things I am missing?

Best regards from Norway.

Learn online

Solution Information