cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Machining Part Families - using Product Interface to keep references to similar faces/edges

Genius
Genius

Hello,

I am looking for experience in machining families of parts.

Problem statement:

There are parts of a similar kind design by different designers. As a result the faces and edges of the parts have different IDs.

I have tried publishing certain geometrical objects (faces, curves, bodies) with product interfaces. In that case, my CAM part needs to have predefined WAVE linked objects of the relevant geometrical objects.

When replacing one part with another one that complies to the same product interfaces it should be possible to automatically reattach the WAVE linked objects to their new sources.

Now, my CAM geometry objects who reference the WAVE linked objects do not all of get updated with the new geometries.

I am wondering if this approach is the best one for this case or if there are simpler approaches. Besides this I would like to better understand based on what CAM geometry objects know their geometry (face ID?!).

Thanks for sharing your thoughts

Best wishes,
Joachim

In production NX 11.0.1.11 D3
5 REPLIES

Re: Machining Part Families - using Product Interface to keep references to similar faces/edges

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

When you replace or update a linked body, you can use the replacement wizard ( greenish icon button in the link dialog) to rematch faces and edges.

Basically CAM is remembering the internal face and edge IDs, if you use selection indent for selecting geometry, you won't need the manual matching.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Re: Machining Part Families - using Product Interface to keep references to similar faces/edges

Genius
Genius

What I am looking for in this post is really a way to replace one part by another one. Ideally the only thing that would be needed is then to just regenerate the operations.

Best wishes,
Joachim

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Do you use real NX CAD part families or are you only calling them this way?

Real NX CAD part families have one master part and the children are inheriting the face and edge IDs from it, so this is the only way to really have no need of updating any CAM geometry manually.

It might also be possible to design from one template part, but anything added manually to the design will need manual selection in the CAM geometry, if you can't use selection intent.

The replacement assistant has the ability to automatically match faces and edges based on a tolerance.

The tolerance should not be higher than your modeling tolerance for exact matches.

Wave Geometry Linker Dialog.PNG

Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1

Genius
Genius

I just call them this way. The parts look quite similar but all are designed independently from each other.

I know about the similarities of real NX Part Famlilies.

I am looking for something in which I can replace one part with another both sharing the same "interface". This should be idependent of face-IDs and closeness.

Best wishes,
Joachim

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

There is no way for the system to do this automatically if the solid geometry is not from the same source.

You can create a custom DLL or Journal to find regions based on face attributes and add these faces to geometry objects.

I would not use colours, since colours are changed easily within a glimpse.

Learn online

Solution Information