cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Machining using KUKA Robot in NX 10.0.3.5

Creator
Creator

Good morning everyone,

I'm working with NX CAM 10.0.3.5 using the given KUKA KR300 for machining a aluminium block. I've created a first process step "CAVITY_MILL" using a tool with a diameter of 40mm. I have implemented our used spindle with the toolholder, so it is the same as our real cell (I have added some picture for better imagination). When I simulale the robot movement, the robot "chooses" a configuration which I don't want to use in the real cell. My problem is now that I don't really understand the possiblities of the "robot rules" to change for example the tool orientation for changing the robot configuration. I'm even not sure, if this is the right procedure for changing the chosen robot configuration?! But the main problem is that it is not possible to change the "robot rules" and apply them. NX shows the following warning:

Some operations failed processing. CAVITY_MILL Failed: "Toolpath contains unsupported locations - only linear motions are considered in robotic simulation and post!"

I hope somebody of you could help me Smiley Happy

Picture 2 shows the configuration that I don't want. I wish, that the robot rotates the spindle so that the TCP of axis 6 shows in front.

Thanks a lot!

19 REPLIES

Re: Machining using KUKA Robot in NX 10.0.3.5

Creator
Creator

Ok, now I understand that the problem are the circular (or non linear) movements. Because when I do it with another milling operation (Floor Wall IPW) with just linear movements, I am able to change the "robot rules" and apply them. But why isn't it possible to use circular movements with the KUKA robot?

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius

Hi,

Assuming your robot is correctly designed and structured, you should have a Configuration tab in the Robot Control dialog that controls the robot configuration. Choose the one you need and apply rules.

See image.

Regards,

Gil.

Siemens Genius

This is current limitation that is planned to be solved soon.

Gil.

Siemens Genius

Just to clarify, the pictures shown in Gil mail above are showing the updated interface to control the Robot rules we introduced in a Hot Fix (HF) on top of 10.0.3.5. in the original mail you do not mention having the HF installed. I really recomend that you use it to improve the user experience and have a better understanding of "what does it mean all those Robotic rules?" since it is built on a graphical interaction. it allows you to position the robot at meaningful locations, jog it to the desired direction / configuration and use a snapshot of it to drive the robot behavior through the entire path.

to get the the new functionality, download the HF from https://download.industrysoftware.automation.siemens.com/download-n.php/ug/product_updates/patch/nx_...  and install it on top of 10.0.3.5 (without MPs) following the instructions in the zip file. The detailed documentation for the Robotic update is available as well.

As always getting feedback (bad and good) are welcome and will help us drive the solurion to the right direction.

Yours,

Eddy Finaro
NX CAM Product Manager
Siemens PLM

Creator
Creator

Hi Eddy, hi Gil,

thanks for your detailed replies! I will download the newest update and will try it immediately. But I think, this will just solve one of my problems. My main problem is the following warning by NX:

Some operations failed processing. CAVITY_MILL Failed: "Toolpath contains unsupported locations - only linear motions are considered in robotic simulation and post!"

For me, it is only possible to plan linear tool movements (no circular movement), otherwise NX give's me warning if I try to apply rules for my robot. Do you have any explanation for this? Besides, it is not possible to Post Process my operations because of circular movements, because NX says, that the Post not support this...

Thank you very much Smiley Wink

Greets, Lars

Siemens Genius

Hi Lars,

the development of the Robotic solution started not long ago and we tried as much as possible to allow an end to end process soon and later thicken the capabilities and usability based on priorities. arcs support requires more development and there is nothing you cannot do without it. so at this stage we do not support arcs at all. this is one of our next utens to enhance and I assume the in the next 3-6 months we'll have a solution supporting it.

Hope that this help,

Eddy 

Eddy Finaro
NX CAM Product Manager
Siemens PLM

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi Eddy,

ok, I understand Smiley Wink I thought, it was my fault in some settings, but good to know Smiley Wink

About the installation of the HF I'm looking forward to: I sent a private message to you. Because I think you gave me a download link for NX 11 which I don't have. And at the download center of GTAC, I don't find the HF for NX 10.0.3.5. Woud you be so kind and send me the download link for NX 10.0.3.5? That would be assume!

Thank you very much!

Lars

Creator
Creator

Hi Eddy,

somethink must be gone wrong here. The nickname "Nowis" was me: "Roboto". I have no idea, what has happenened here Smiley Very Happy

Sorry for that

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Do robot controls support circular moves?

I don't remember that any did, but then the last time I dealt with robots was almost 30 years ago, so i wouldn't be surprised if they added that capablity since then ;-)

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Learn online

Solution Information