cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Main spindle to sub-spindle IPW transfer

Genius
Genius

Hi all!

I have problem with using IPW from main spindle and machining the same part on sub-spindle. For some reason when I try to generate operation, I get this warning that I have no blank regardless of a specified bank (and generated as IPW) from the first operation on the main spindle. I tried to reorder MCS2 under MCS1 but then I can't select IPW and update it?

1.png

2.png

If you take a look on this video you will see that the organization of the geometry view is the same except for the mill part.

4 REPLIES

Re: Main spindle to sub-spindle IPW transfer

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Turning works differently and I don't think the way it is done in milling is supported in turning.

I am not into turning, so I can't help here any further.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I don't have time to watch a 35 min video, but BRIEFLY...

Turning IPW transfer is not done at the workpiece level (blue "blockish" looking icon) but rather at the "turning workpiece" (yellow cylindrical-ish icon)

In "Specify blank boundaries" of that object's "edit" dialog

Choose the "from workspace" icon -> select corresponding reference (left spindle) and target (right spindle) objects

In the NX 10 docs:

CAM -> Manufacturing turning -> Geometry structure sample for a 2 spindle multifunction machine -> (in the "how do I" section at the right) Specify a sub-spindle blank to bring in the IPW from the main work space. 

Basically, it does not matter what geometry you select for reference and target, but they MUSt be in the SAME RELATIVE POSITION TO THE PART

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Genius
Genius

Thanks!

I know for "from workspace" option but that's not what I really want to.I would like to use this generating IPW method (see video 14:10 min.), because it looks easier to maintain IPW update, position the IPW and it's faster than "from workspace".

And in some other application where you have 4 or 5 setups "from workspace" is not that convenient.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

In my turn/millturn seed parts, I have pre-defined the "from workspace" (using sketch geometry) which makes life much easier.

When I get a chance I'll look at the video

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Learn online

Solution Information