Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Management of cutting tool's link with NC code

How do you manage cutting tool-NC code, part operations links? Do you use any software/system to manage this?

To explain it further, please see below.

Each CNC machine has many tools in its tool magazine. Each tool is used in multiple NC codes, for many parts and operations. If someone wants to replace one particular tool, that person should be able to get information on all NC codes, parts, operations where its been used.

Any idea?

BR
Mak
TC10/NX 9
6 REPLIES

Re: Management of cutting tool's link with NC code

Use MRL and a solid tool assembly and the tool assemblies will be components of the CAM parts.

Using the impact analysis, you get all the CAM parts where a particular tool is used.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

I believe Teamcenter Manufacturing can also get this kind of report (from the "manufacturing BOM"?)

But the MRL is probably a better decision unless you are already planning on using TC Mfg... (note they are not mutually exclusive - you can use both)

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

In Teamcenter Manufacturing, the tools are resources, and you can check what CAM setups use them.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Teamcenter Manufacturing is not needed, we only use MRL and I can get the relation between all MENCTool and MENCMachining revisions through the impact analysis.

If you use the ASCII library, you will get a separate virtual tool for each CAM part, so it will not be possible to track the tool usage.

With the regular assembly features and MRL you have the poor mans Tc manufacturing options, which should be sufficient.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

I am aware and know about MRL, TC Manufacturing and looking other options.

BR
Mak
TC10/NX 9

About the only other option (that I know of) is "do your own".

Do something when posting (or possibly shop docs) that populates a database with program & tools used by that program.  I would also suggest storing cutting time as well (so if someone comes out with "super duper endmill #23" that cuts 10 times faster, you can update the program that uses the original mill for 3 hours before you do the program that uses the original mill for 15 seconds)

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Learn online

Solution Information