Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Manufacturing Resource Library

I'm looking for any positive/negative feedback from anyone who is using the Manufacturing Resource Library. We are looking to use this mainly for our tool library right now. Is it worth the addtional costs versus the traditional tool library? I plan on setting up machine simulation so  is it easier to maintain/create tools with the properly located CSYS for tool tips and tool mount juctions?

Also, were you able to implement this module in house or did it require a reseller to come in and set it up. We are starting from scratch so we are hoping to do this ourselves. There is a large cost associated with having a reseller come in for implementation.

NX 10.0.2 PB 10.0.2
19 REPLIES

Re: Manufacturing Resource Library

We have contemplated looking at the MRL as well.  Note all the below is my observations from looking at presentations and talking with people, I have NOT actually tried the product.

Right now, only a few of our machines use text tool libraries (generally the ones with IS&V, so we can use modelled tools). 

The issues with MRL I see are:

1) Siemens (basically) only sells the "framework" to load data in.  They do NOT include the actual data (I would assume they include a *few* tools, but maybe not even that).  *I* (the customer) have to actually GET the tool data from the vendor.  Data must be ISO13399 format *plus* "GTC" data (an extension to the ISO format) to "cleanly" load into MRL - if not, you have to do manual work to add each tool. (they may have some stuff set up, similar to part families, to do "simple" tool components like end mills and drills)

2) Supposedly, at least Sandvik and Kennametal have *some* data in the ISO (and possibly GTC) format.  Supposedly, if you get the "ZIP" option from Kennametal, it includes everything to import directly into MRL.

Siemens "solution" to tooling vendors that don't provide data in these formats: "Tell purchasing to tell vendor we aren't buying their tools until they provide data in the required formats"   That may work for the Siemens and GEs and GMs of the world.  May not work too well for "mom & pop" size shops.  Also, you (apparently) can't just ask for "everything they have" - you have to ask for each tool one by one.  Yecch!

3) You may be able to get data thru 3rd party "3D model" suppliers/web sites, but you will likely have to pay for the priviledge.

4) If you have custom tools, there are provisions to load them in (somehow)

So (looking at the "slideware") the framework looks nice, but I see a *big* issue with getting & loading the actual tool data. 

YMMV.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Generally, we have found that it is much easier to use part families for MRL, than the vendor catalogs.

Cons:

1. There are too less vendor catalogs available
  2. Holder data seems to be added manually to tool assemblies

Pros:

1. You can automatically create components and assemblies from part families
  2. You just need to load the newly created tool assembly once into resource manager to make sure that the inheritance is correct
  3. You can connect to MRL from native and managed NX sessions
  4. You can maintain MRL by multiple users concurrently

I would not start with the ASCII library if you don't use it yet and you already have a Teamcenter environment.

The ASCII library will always only contain the edits of the last NX session closed that altered it.

You can't maintain the ASCII library easily by multiple users.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Thanks for the info....

It seems like it can be a very useful purchase but for right now it is still lacking in some significant areas. The one thing that makes my decision more difficult is that we are just starting to program in NX right now, so we are essentially starting our tool library from scratch. I would hate to build a "classic" library and then in a couple of years switch over to MRL. We mainly use Sandvik for turrning and Kennametal for milling tools so if their data is in fact able to be integrated into MRL than that will be a big plus. It also depends on whether or not we can do the install / implementation ourselves.

NX 10.0.2 PB 10.0.2

My opinion is the issue is not so much MRL vs ASCII tool library - it is where do the solid tools come from. The large company I work for does use both at different sites. The MRL libraries do take some development staff - there is a database guy devoted to it - at least initial import of data (they had some previous data.) Years later - he is still working on it I think - but we have plenty of MRL tools.

The solid tools are a struggle - even for large companies. The tool vendors say they will give you everything - but then it isn't accurate - and is usually not assembled (even if it is accurate with components.) One facility bought and uses a 3d scanner to get 3D tools - and quite expensive software to take the point clouds to usable solids. Another facility has 13000 tool assemblies not in solid representation now - and have used ascii library and built parametric tools for what they have used in NX. Other facilities beat on tool vendors and get pieces of tools and put them together and provide classification data for MRL. There is plenty of cost - even when vendors provide what you need.

NX10.03
Windows 7 Pro

With part families it is easy to get simplified tools quickly.

NX doesn't use detailed tools anyways, so why create them?

Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1

[ Edited ]

I would agree with a part family approach to the models if possible and practical. With rotating tools - a tool setter scanning the tool assembly is another option - but the resulting line segments would probably need filtering to remove dust and other excessive detail. Vericut and ISV do work better with some level of detail.

NX10.03
Windows 7 Pro

There is no need for the chip slots and some such.

If you create more accurate tools, than possible with the metadata used in the tool dialogs inside NX, you would still be good to go.

The tools don't need to be as detailed as if you would design them to manufacture them.

Using part families, you can create all the ICOs of one tool class in MRL with the click of a button automatically.

In addition the attributes are filled in automatically through a mapping feature, so working in an Excel sheet is much easier than doing this tool-by-tool in MRL.

Hi

Does anyone know if Part Family templates are provided as apart of the install and what sort coverage to they have? Is it the odd one or two classes or do Siemens provide template for all the Classes with MRL.

I know there are different revisions of the MRL structure (I think the latest is version 3) and these maybe linked to certain versions of Teamcenter and contains different levels of functionality and bug fixes

Regards

There are some example part families included, but I have never taken a look what they offer.

We just did what the consultant training us for MRL suggested and enhanced it afterwards.

Every Teamcenter release comes with a separate setup for MRL, so you can upgrade your version to have all fixes and enhancements added to your current MRL installation.

Teamcenter 10.1.4 ships with MRL 3.1.4 as a separate setup, there is no automatic update.

Learn online

Solution Information