cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manufacturing ipw defaults ignored.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello All,

My new parts are not using customer defaults nor my template parts.  I am not sure where else they could be set.  I would rather not manually set defaults in every new part.

NX 11.0.2
17 REPLIES

Re: Manufacturing ipw defaults ignored.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Since NX Version 9.0.3 MP1 the IPW settings are stored together with the part file. You will find it in:

Preferences->Manufacturing->Geometry->In Process Workpiece Tolerances

Initially they use the settings from the customer defaults.

Thomas Schulz
Siemens PLM
Manufacturing Engineering Software

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I would think so but new files are not using the same settings as my customer defaults.  Furthermore, if I change the settings in the part, save then close, upon reopening the part the settings have reverted.  This is super frustrating to change this every time I open a part.  I wonder if there is another template part besides the CAM Setup part that is populating the ipw settings.  The settings that are reverting are chordal tolerance, tolerance mode and needle distance.

NX 11.0.2

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

That for sure should not happen.

Please get in contact with GTAC to open an PR for that.

Thomas Schulz
Siemens PLM
Manufacturing Engineering Software

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I tried it again and now I cannot replicate the issue when re-opening parts but new parts are still not using my customer defaults.  I'll drop gtac a line.  Thank you for your time Thomas.

NX 11.0.2

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

As far as I can tell, only the blank template part uses the customer defaults.

If you use a custom template part, the settings of it would be used, if I am not mistaken.

Do you use File => New => Blank or not?

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX12.0

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello Stefan,

Yes, I use File => New => Blank (model) and have tried File => New => Blank (manufacturing).  I also set ipw fields in mill_contour.prt and mill_planar.prt but no new parts populate the ipw settings with my settings.

I sincerely hope development did not use the windows registry for any of this, lol.

NX 11.0.2

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Mill_contour and Mill_planar are not used to initialize the part file settings.

If you use any of the File => New => Blank templates, the customer defaults are used.

If your customer defaults are set correctly and the blank parts are not set correctly, then GTAC must be informed.

The registry is also used for many settings, so don't clear HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Unigraphics Solutions\NX.

Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I use mill_contour.prt and mill_planar.prt to set many fields in new operations.  I have done this for many, many versions.

My point exactly about the registry.  Gtac has instructed me in the past to delete certain entries that were corrupting drafting functionality and I sincerely hope that manufacturing uses NOTHING  from the registry.

Not a huge deal about the ipw settings but it is very frustrating.  I'll start an IR with gtac as soon as I can. 

NX 11.0.2

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

mill_contour and mill_planar are only used to preset settings inside of operations, methods, geometry groups and tools, not for any other aspect of NX CAM.

Settings you change through preferences => manufacturing are saved to the registry and the settings of the ONT (columns, etc.) are also saved to the registry.

Learn online

Solution Information