cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manufacturing with T-cutter

Solution Partner Pioneer Solution Partner Pioneer
Solution Partner Pioneer

Hello all,

Anyone please help, In NX how can create toolpath with T-cutter (multi stepover and multi depth) for geometry in image bellow. Please find 3D file in attched file.

Untitled.png

Prefer toolpath

1.png

2.png

7 REPLIES

Re: Manufacturing with T-cutter

Solution Partner Pioneer

It's a step back in time for me but we always milled these features with planar profile.  After the tool reaches the top of the tapered feature, 3+2 contouring gets the rest.  We had NX 4 back then and our choice was to set the under side of the mandrel as the boundary plane and top edge of taper as floor plane.  The boundary geometry = the top edges of the undercut where it meets the mandrel.  First DOC was cutter thickness.  Other DOC's to suit.  Be sure to give plenty of engage retract clearance so the cutter doesn't gouge the mandrel on the way down and up because it may not check for this.

Not very sophisticated but it gets the job done very quickly which is important in your industry.

Good luck

George

George Bennett
All NX versions
W7 Ultimate
Dell Precision M6700
Spirit of Innovation

Solution Partner Pioneer
Thanks you very much.

Genius
Genius

Which version of NX are you using ? I think NX9 has direct option (Groove Milling) to mill this with T cutter where you can define steps - depth and side 

Best Regards

BR
Mak
TC10/NX 9

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi!

In NX9/10 you can produce this with groove milling. But it works with features. It works fine. But as I see this, I don't think, that this will be recogniced as a linear groove.

Sorry, I can't open the step-file, something must be wrong.

Werner

Solution Partner Pioneer

Actually, that's a ParaSolids File.

I think that FBM would have difficulty recognizing this as a feature.  This type of component has many shapes and forms under the mandrel, almost all of which are contoured to some degree.  A small %age of parts would get picked up by FBM.  Typically we used to use API for these.  Depth was controlled by expressions created in the design phase.

George

George Bennett
All NX versions
W7 Ultimate
Dell Precision M6700
Spirit of Innovation

Groove Milliing and Radial Groove Milling have the cutting strategy you want, but today they are limited to linear and circular grooves.

Until groove milling is expanded, I would use planar profile or solid profile.

If the Z under the ledge is critical, you also have the option to use a tracking point on the top of the t-cutter.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Genius
Genius

Hello,

This is possible using Planar Mill with cut pattern set to profile. set additional passes to however many you want and step over as necessary then set cut levels accordingly.

I set the profile to the inner edge of the groove.

groove.JPG

I would prefer to use the new grooving options for this sort of work as they look good but are limited at the moment, I have raised enhancement request to add external radial grooving to complement the new internal radial grooving.

Hope this is of some help.

Regards

Dave
NX10.0.3MP13
NX11.0.1
Production
TC10
Vericut 7.3,7.4.1,8.0.2

Learn online

Solution Information