Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximum and Minimum Spot Drill Depths

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi,

I was wondering if there was a way to make NX automatically fill in some values for me. In our small machine shop I use just 1 small spot drill tool that is optimal 90% of the time. It is a 1/4" in diameter. What I'm looking for NX to do on holes that are larger than .25", us for to only plunge into the workpiece till it starts using the side of the spot drill. On my small spot drill, this only a depth of .072". 

On the flip side. If I have a hole that has a diameter smaller than .25" I'd like NX to plungle as far as possible into the work piece. I model in all my chamfers on the parts I'm working with and it would be nice if the spot drill function could pick this up. 

I understand that I could use the countersink function on the small holes but I find the countersink function to be very buggy when part modifications are made. I very frequently get memory access errors when working with it. I still have to create a GTAC submission on that. 

I hope this makes sense. 

Thank you. 

10 REPLIES

Re: Maximum and Minimum Spot Drill Depths

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

To Update this, under the Feature Selection Geometry window, I forgot to specify Faces_Top_Chamfer instead of Faces_Cylinder_1. By specifying the Top_Chamfer in the machining area it will attempt to maximize the tool depth. 

So the question now becomes, is there anyway to automatically limit the depth of a tool. Like I previously stated, for this particular tool i'd like it to spot a maximum of only .072 inches depth into the work piece. What happens other wise is that the tool plunges past it cutting edge and in certain steels, this causes it to shatter. 

If you would like an example of what I'm talking about let me know. 

Thanks again. 

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

There seems to be some kind of rule laid out in the background of the spot drilling operation, but I have never found out which.

It seems to be some kind of percentage of the diameter with a maximum depth depending on the tool.

How about limiting the flute length to the tool tip without the cylindrical section?

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX12.0

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

What do you mean limit the flute length? When you create a spot drill you don't have an option on flute length. You can change the overall length of the tool increase or decrease its flute length.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Sorry, didn't check the spot drill first.

We never use it, since we do no spot drilling at all.

Lucky me, one more thing I don't have to have any knowledge of Smiley Wink

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX12.0

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Haha, yes NX seemingly has a way of keepin you perpetually involved in learning something about it. This might be a case where I have to trick the system again... I guess thats what makes in fun?!?

Imperial wrote:

What do you mean limit the flute length? When you create a spot drill you don't have an option on flute length. You can change the overall length of the tool increase or decrease its flute length.

Actually, Spot Drills have a flute length, but it is not in the dialog out of the box. If it is set to zero (the default), then it is where the cone reaches the diameter. This is why the cone is yellow, but the diameter is gray. 

spot_drill_flute_length.jpg

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

In my circumstance, if I set the flute length to .072 will it not plunge past that point? If so, how do I find the dialog to do this?

Imperial wrote:

In my circumstance, if I set the flute length to .072 will it not plunge past that point? If so, how do I find the dialog to do this?

I'm not sure how the holemaking processors or FBM rules use the flute length, but you can add it to your dialog and find out. Select the tool > MB3 > Customize. In the lower list, expand Tool, Dimensions, and select (L) Length. In the upper list, select (FL) Flute Length, Add to Dialog. If you want this for all new tools, change the spot drill in the hole_making and library_dialogs template parts.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I will give it a try, thank you!

Learn online

Solution Information