cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Merging CAM resources

Phenom
Phenom

We use NX 9, and TC 10, at two different sites, with one Teamcenter database, and utilizing the NXcustom setup developed by Rob Cohon.  Most users have been setup like this for about 2 years now, except for the machine shop at the other facility.  Now, as the NX admin/non CAM guy,  I have been tasked to assymilate them in with everyone else.  For the most part this has been pretty straight forward, but now I am finding various files on their native setup, that I think I need to merge into our network location, and I'm not 100% sure how to do this.

Example, the tool database files in resource\library\tool\english.  Is there a way to merge these, and not lose info from either site?  or do I have to create group folders for each site?  Ideally, I *think* we want one location for everything.

Same for the machine_database.dat file.

Any insight would be appreciated.

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 8.1
8 REPLIES

Re: Merging CAM resources

It sounds like your libraries are in native, so based on that...

If the sites will be sharing the same libraries, then you need to merge them manually. Be careful not to duplicate librefs. 

If they will keep separate libraries, you cound use separate CAM configurations, or just use separate resource areas.

In native, I would have a resource folder for each of them, and then set UGII_CAM_RESOURCE_DIR differently at each site. You could have the same resource area, and only have separate libraries, but that is a little harder to set up. For me the duplication is worth less headaches.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Phenom
Phenom

We do have seperate groups for Indy and NC, so that might be the easiest way to do this.

Thanks Mark!

-Dave

There are also performance considerations if there is slow access to the resource folder, since this is where the libraries and template parts are.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Phenom
Phenom

We are also looking at the MRL (Manufacturing Resource LIbrary, since it appears the Kennametal catalog is available for it.

Since I am just starting this journey, is there anyting I can do now with these libraries, that would help the move to MRL?  or is it a complete start over?

-Dave

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

MRL is a complete start over, since it is best to avoid anything you have introduced in the past that might be a problem in the future.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Phenom
Phenom

FYI, GTAC informed me about the "Convet Tool Library" function, which is supposed to convert your custom files:

tool_database.dat

holder_database.dat

segmented_tool_database.dat

trackpoint_database.dat

It's worked for 2, maybe 3 of the 4.  One is unchanged, so I can't tell if anything changed.  GTAC is trying to figure out why the 4th didn't merge.

-Dave

DaveK wrote:

FYI, GTAC informed me about the "Convet Tool Library" function, which is supposed to convert your custom files:

tool_database.dat

holder_database.dat

segmented_tool_database.dat

trackpoint_database.dat

It's worked for 2, maybe 3 of the 4.  One is unchanged, so I can't tell if anything changed.  GTAC is trying to figure out why the 4th didn't merge.

This should work if you did not change the classification or add fields to the data records.

If you added tools to the existing classes, then those should all be converted to the format of the newer release. If you modified our out of the box tools, those changes are ignored.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Phenom
Phenom

I have passed that along, since I didn't create any of the tools, I have no idea what the machine shops may have done, if they know...a lot of this was setup by Siemens initially.

It's in a testing phase right now, waiting to hear back from the machine shops.

-Dave

Learn online

Solution Information