Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Milling Sheet body models vs solid body models

Pioneer
Pioneer

I was wondering what peoples preferances were and also best practices for Milling Sheet body models vs solid body models.  What are the differances?  I have only ever milled solid body models to make parts. I have generated toolpaths on sheet bodies and they have resulted in good toolpaths. However, I have never used them to make a part. Is there any reason to not use this method? 

7 REPLIES

Re: Milling Sheet body models vs solid body models

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

If you have a water-tight sold body, you can perform more geometry checks to catch geometric problems.

Until solid volumes were introduced in NX, we were all working with sheets, so nothing new.

It boils down to how you like to work and if you need to change a thing.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX12.0

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Genius
Genius
Programming with sheet bodies can come in handy when trying to limit your path to a certain area, when using a boundary might not be the best option. The main difference I've found is generation speed, sheets have a lot less geometry to check so toolpaths using sheets tend to generate faster. I have programmed reliable toolpaths using both.
Mike Diamond, CNC Programmer, Orizon Aerostructures Inc.

Production: NX10.0.3.5, Vericut 7.4.1, ICAM V21
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk
Testing: NX11

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius

Much has been done over the years to improve NX handling solid bodies. Yes, users applied tool path to sheet bodies long ago, but development recommends using solids now. The reason being that in many cases sheet bodies have tiny gaps that often cause messy tool path around the edges. A water tight solid body won't have that problem. If you are looking to contain the tool path within a certain area on the body, use Cut Area.

Genius
Genius

Cut Area is nice but sometimes where a path needs to be doesn't line up with faces. Smiley Very Happy

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

diamond3210 wrote:

Cut Area is nice but sometimes where a path needs to be doesn't line up with faces. Smiley Very Happy

Then sheets won't help either.

In such a situation I would do the following:

1. use a MILL_AREA to limit the generation time
    • only the milling area and the surrounding border faces are used to calculate the tool path
  2. use a trim boundary to further refine the region to machine

If you machine the same area using a milling area or a boundary, the milling area will generate faster, the boundary will still check the entire body.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX12.0

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Pioneer
Pioneer

You can also divide faces about a plane or specified curves.  This would have to be done in modeling.  

Genius
Genius

The areas I am talking about involve extremely complex geometry. So I will extract faces and cut them up to the area needed then use Area mill and it works everytime. It is a lot easier to precisely control the exact area for your toolpath. For me, if I use Trim Boundaries on these areas I spend too much time fine tuning the member stocks to get exactly what I want

Learn online

Solution Information