Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Minimum Material Removed in the Blank group of cutting parameters (Floor and Wall milling)

Genius
Genius

Good day!

Can anyone explain Minimum Material Removed or make an example?

I tried to change the value of Minimum Material Removed, but I always get the same tool path.

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Minimum Material Removed in the Blank group of cutting parameters (Floor and Wall milling)

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hello SeanHAI

From the documentation that you have probably read:

Minimum Material Removed

Available when the Blank option is 3D IPW .

Suppresses any segment of the tool path that would remove less than the specified amount of material. As a result, the tool path is only generated in larger cut regions.

The actual system minimum thickness value is the summation of the Minimum Material Removed value and the blank stock value.

Please make sure you have 3D IPW set. The amount of material to be removed has to be larger than the setting or the cut segment will be omitted.

So if you 0.05mm stock and your setting is 0.1mm "Minimum Material Removed" then you should not get any toolpath.

This is really useful in complicated forms to help reduce very small cut segments that basically just touch the part the retract therefore creating lots of air time unnecessarily.

If you have 0.1mm stock and your setting is 0.05mm "Minimum Material Removed" then you should get a toolpath.

Start by putting a value maybe twice the stock material left to see it working then reduce the value to see portions of the tool path start to appear. You will get a feel for it pretty quickly.

Regards

Paul   

Re: Minimum Material Removed in the Blank group of cutting parameters (Floor and Wall milling)

Siemens Phenom

The 3D IPW is a faceted body, a bunch of triangles glued together. It is not exact, therefore the system might see, what I call crumbs left by an operation that are not actually there. The minimum material setting is used so NX will avoid trying to cut these crumbs.

Genius
Genius
Hello Paul thanks for your reply, I tried to set parameters in Stock Tab(Cutting Parameters). I still failed to see the effect of "Minimum Material Removed". Could you upload a sample part file?

Siemens Phenom
Hi @SeanHAI
I’m out of the office now. I’ll upload an example for you in the morning Japan time.
Regards
Paul

Siemens Phenom

Hello @SeanHAI

Here is a sample part that you can see the effect. Edit the last FIXED_CONTOUR operation to change the "Minimum Material Removed" value. Try from 0 up to 2mm to see the varying effect. Also overlay the IPW result from the FIXED_CONTOUR_SEMI_FINISH operation to get an idea of why its happening.

Regards

Paul

nb. Sorry I had to delete the internal toolpaths so I could get a reasonable upload file size. Please generate the operations.

Genius
Genius

Thank you very much, Legend!

Learn online

Solution Information