cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mirror X for milling?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Is there a way to mirror X axis for milling. I saw the commands mom_sys_lathe_x_factor and mom_sys_lathe_i_factor , but they are only for turing. I am hoping there are some easy to variables to work with because it seems like I have to mirror my X, tool axis X vector, and arc moves. there could be even more I don't know about. If there aren't any easy variables then how can this be handled?

Using NX 8.0.3.4
5 REPLIES

Re: Mirror X for milling?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

If you create a new milling post, on the "Machine tool" tab -> General parameters, the mirror options are available there.

NOTE: (in my opinion!) they are there just in case the MACHINE is mirrored (e.g. maybe it has a left handed CSYS, or maybe its the opposite of all your other machines, or something).  Those settings are NOT for mirroring parts. 

But that's MY opinion - how you use those settings is up to you ;-)

Ken

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

It is for a twin turret post and the lower turret is mirrored. I would like to use the same milling post becasue the turrets are pretty much the same except for a list of like 5 variables. I am am hoping that there are some variables that I can use to mirror it.

I started from a post from siemens because it has g112/g133 in it. When I went to machine tool tab l to flipped the X and the I mirror output and it didn't work. I just tried it on a new post and it did mirror it. Because of that I am hoping there are some variables that will do it.

Using NX 8.0.3.4

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I do this sort of thing all the time.

1) I'd set it mirrored in the post.

2) have some sort of variable (probably from the turret) so you know if this op is upper/lower turret

3) in "start of path" have a custom command that resets the params (including mirror) based on upper/lower turret (and/or left/right spindle, if that is also needed).

I don't think miror will require it, but if you set certain things, you may need to "MOM_reload_kinematics".  A subtle hint is that the variable is "mom_kin_..." ;-)

Ken

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I guess thats fair, I take it that you really can't tell me the variables because you don't know my machine. I did find a complete list (at least hope it is) in the post's TCL file. Picked which variables I thought were effected, reloaded the kinematics and it seems to work.

Using NX 8.0.3.4

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Yes, it's hard to say exactly hwat variables, as it depends on what you're trying to do.

Sometimes I make a "dummy" post set up for (in your case) the lower turret.  Get its output correct, then compare to the (in your case) upper turret tcl file to see what changed.

In your case, mom_kin_spindle_axis is certainly one I'd look at.

Learn online

Solution Information